Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arb0812 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 06:31 AM
    H1B Husband, Husband and Wife overseas, LayOff
    I was on a H1B visa and working in the US sine June 2007. The company that I was working for downsized and I was laid off from there on 31st Oct 2008. Subsequently since I was unable to find employment I decided to move back home at the end of November.

I got married in Dec 2008. By that time my petition by the company was cancelled but I still have a valid H1B. My wife was not in the US in 2008. Since both me and my wife were not in the US at the end of 2008, can I still file a joint tax form for the two of us?

Thanks,
    AB
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Unfortunately, no, not unless you KNOW for fact that you will be returning to the U.S. to work in 2009.

You must file a dual-status return for yourself only as a married dual-status alien, filing BOTH Forms 1040NR and 1040.

Feb 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
    There is a 50-50 chance that I might return later this year. What should I do in that particular scenario? Also, since I have only consolidated W2 for the year how do I file tow tax returns? I received severance pay from my company when I returned back home. Should I declare that in form 1040 or from 1040NR? Not sure how do I distribute the income on the forms.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 12:44 PM
    If you do not know, I would wait as long as possible before filing. If you KNOW you will get a refund even if you file dual-status (which is most likely because most foreign national are FORCED to over-withhold income taxes), you have until 15 April 2012 to file and still claim you refund.

Because if you come back in 2009 on a work visa, you MUST file as a resident alien, so you would have to amend the dual-status return, which can be bothersome.

Feb 5, 2009, 11:54 AM

If I decide to file as a dual-status alien, I have only one W2 for the entire year. Do I divide the income between the 1040 and 1040NR based on when I was present in the US and when I moved out? I received severance pay after I moved back, do I add that to the 1040NR? Also, do I attach just one w2 to both forms and send out my tax return?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
    You would prorate the income between the two forms, reporting the income while in the U.S. on Form 1040 and the income earned while in your home country is reported on Form 1040NR.

Feb 15, 2009, 03:04 AM
    Do I owe state taxes for the period that I was not present in the United States?

To claim education loan interest tax credit, do I file that on my 1040 or 1040NR. My actual income is greater that 70,000 but the adjusted gross income after applying with moving expenses is less that 70,000. I am not sure what to do. Do I file that on my 1040 or 1040NR? Or do I prorate between the two?

Feb 15, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Do I owe state taxes for the period that I was not present in the United States?

To claim education loan interest tax credit, do I file that on my 1040 or 1040NR. My actual income is greater that 70,000 but the adjusted gross income after applying with moving expenses is less that 70,000. I am not sure what to do. Do I file that on my 1040 or 1040NR? Or do I prorate between the two?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 06:49 AM

Which return did you file for 2007? Purpose of this question is to find out if you can file joint return as residents for 2008.

You have completed Substantial Presence Test in 2008, and you have also completed 183 days in 2008, which means you are resident for 2008. Now the question arises, what is your residence termination date?

Feb 15, 2009, 08:27 AM

Hi MuktaA,

I filed 1040NR for the year 2007 as I was on OPT for the majority of the year and my residency in the US ended sometime in the last week of November.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband and ex-wife [ 18 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married a year. His grown children live with his ex-wife while they are attending college. He visits them several times a year and the trip is a 13 hour drive from our home. Before he leaves, he always says he will be staying at a motel and will call me to tell me...

Wife VS. Husband [ 1 Answers ]

A couple drove down a country road for several miles, not saying a word. An earlier discussion had led to an argument andneither of them wanted to concede their position. As they passed a barnyard of mules, goats, and pigs, the husband asked sarcastically, "Relatives of yours?" "Yep," the wife...

Wife on dependent visa and husband dies, can wife stay in UK? [ 1 Answers ]

Husband worked in UK for 7 yrs and wife has worked here about 5. Wife is on dependent visa. Husband got seriously ill and died recently. Is wife allowed to still stay in UK? What should she do to be able to stay? Can she apply for permanent residence? Husband is buried to UK and wife would like to...

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

Husband and wife, both F1->H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate your advice on what options my husband and myself have in terms of filling our tax returns -Husband Changed his STATUS from F1 to H1B in October 05, got actual H1B visa in January 10th 06 when he went outside of the US (he is resident, correct?) - Wife Was on OPT...

View more questions Search