Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thug2u Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Recently got a 4 year old pit bull
    Three days ago I went and picked up a 4 year old pit bull and the pit bull weighs 90 pounds real health she is also fixed can't have pups my only concern is that she is not ate nothing but a hotdog so far and its been 3 days she is drinking water as she needs it the temp outside has been fairly hot 98 degress I have tried 3 kinds of dog food caned alpo, gravey making old roy and purina. I was woundering is this normal for a dog not to eat maybe from nerves or something because she has never been away from her original owners. She has taken up very well with us and seems to be happy here so what should I do about her not eating can't really afford vet prices please help!!
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 7, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Take your dog for a nice, long walk. It may be the environment change. If all else fails, tempt her with something irresistible. Except chocolate.
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2006, 03:31 AM
    It could be that the dog is missing the original owners. You didn't say why they gave the dog up. Can you call them and ask them what dog food they were feeding the dog? Maybe the dog doesn't like canned food but more of a kibble type food. If all else fails you will probably have to take the dog to the vets. You should anyway to have the health confirmed by a professional. Good luck.
    cheechthecheechy Posts: 41, Reputation: -1

Aug 8, 2006, 03:41 AM
    well there are a few kinds of dog food.

I got a labrador/german shepherd/border collie cross and she lurves wet/damp dry dog food. Lol like those pedigree meaty bites with rice on top, or just some water. She loves it when we tip the sardine bones and the sauce into her bowl. She'll always eat that first. Its not that she won't take dry dog food, but she eats the wet stuff first. Dogs are quite picky anyway.

once I tossed her a grape, she sniffed it and left it, coming back to me for some other food. Then when I left, she started eating the grape.

fed up made a good suggestion, it could be missing its orginial owners, I wouldn't know much cos I had my dog for 10 years,a and got her when she was 3 months old. =P

good luck though! Dogs can be very fun!!

Aug 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
    The origanal owners were feeding her Old Roy so that's what I'm trying to feed her with no luck but my daughter dropped a oatmeal cookie and she goobled it up like it was the only thing to eat and the owners gave her away because they both lost there jobs and couldn't afford to feed her and her sister we were going to get them both because if we didn't they were going to be put to sleep but her sister was very aggressive and we have a two year old but the one we did get (Dekota) seems to be ajusting very well she's a little skidish when little kids she don't know sticks there hands out to pet her she'll bark or growl then go hide but I have taken her for a long walk every night since we got her she will come back and drink a lot of water but that's it no food she was kind of fat when we got her I figured backs she was fixed but so far she won't eat nothing but oatmeal cookies we even tried mixing those cookies with her food and nothing not even a bite on the cookies Im really worried because she is a very beautiful dog and you can tell she came from a very strong american pit bull terier bloodline any suggestions would be great.

Aug 8, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Oh yea before they were feeding her Old roy they fed her some expensive food that cost $45.00 a bag plus table scrapes but she want touch even table scrapes here but a hot dog once but that's it.
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2006, 06:06 PM
    The dog is probably missing the sister. It is a big adjustment for a 4 year old dog to be turned over to a new family. As for your 2 year old just teach the child to leave the dog until the dog has settled in with you. Eventually the dog will adjust. As for the eating, well that is a different kettle of fish. Oatmeal cookies are not exactly what the vet would order. Try the Old Roy and don't offer the dog anything more. He will have to break down and eat that eventually. Good luck. As with all dogs, no matter what the breed, don't trust them alone with children. Even the best breeds have been known to bite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

My 2 year old stofordshire bull terrier has stopped eating. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my Staffordshire bull terrier has stopped eating anything. I have tried tempting him with his favorite treat (mature cheder cheese) but he won't touch it, he is quite large for his age (nearly fully grown) and is naturally active and playful all of the time even now when he hasn't been...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

Bull Sticks OK for young Lab [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to figure out what I can give my 8 month old lab as a treat once in a while. I have read that beef bones do harm to there teeth. Are bull sticks OK? Also, we just finished beginner obedience classes where he has learned the basics (sit/stay/come/lie down/off/look/walking on...

View more questions Search