Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stockups Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Like to add an ceiling electric box off a exisitng switch
    Hi there I just bought a house and in the 2 smaller bedrooms there are on off switches but they control a electric outlet on the lower wall I want to add a ceiling electric box so I can add a light fixture or a ceiling fan what is the best way to do this. Can I tap into the on off switch

Thanks Michael
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 07:05 AM

Your first question is, "How are you going to get cable to the ceiling fixture and where are you going to draw power from."

Switches only carry the constant Hot part of the circuit. There is no Neutral return leg.

To work this, you will need to determine where the source of continuous hot is being supplied to the switch from. Then you will need to rewire that source to bring both the Hot and Neutral to the switch.

Hot you would connect to the switch along with the Equipment grounding conductor (EGC). Neutral (White) would connect with the white going to the ceiling fixture's white. Black would connect to the top of the switch and all grounds would connect together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and...

Changing insurance with pre-exisitng condition [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend just got diagnosed with hep-C. Unfortunately she got laid off at work last week from University of California and her last day is next month. Does she have to take the really expensive Cobra ($600/month) or can she change to a competitive health care policy like Blue Cross...

Limit switch on electric furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Can the thermostat on a limit switch be bad while the rest of the switch is OK?My blower fan works manually but will not function on "auto".

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Exisitng Wiring - how to use it? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a switched ceiling light that was originally intended to be a ceiling fan. It has a black a white and a red (which is capped off) wire at the light. There are 2 switches in the wall. One operates the light and the other simply has a black and a red hooked to it and does nothing. My...

View more questions Search