Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XM8 Posts: 213, Reputation: 14

Jan 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
    I finally managed to do it
    Hi..

I'm 16 and now a non-smoker. I started smoking when I was 14.. towards the end of 2006.

Now I know I've made the right decision but I could really use some input from an external point of view.

At first my parents were extremely outraged when they suspected me of smoking. My mother would daily search me and my room for cigarettes and my dad would beat me when he found out I had smoked.

I started smoking because of peer pressure, but then I really got addicted. Later on I actually made myself believe that smoking is cool. I smoked with "style". My dad gave me my first zippo lighter when I turned 15 and I loved it. It kind of pressured me to smoke more because it felt cool using it.

Since then I've received 3 more zippos which I adore. Moreover 2 months ago my dad gave me a cigarette case he had kept for over 30 years. Solid silver and he even got it engraved for me.
    In the end.. almost a year ago my parents finally gave in and let me smoke. I decided to give up 11 days ago because I just had enough.

Everyone in my grade/year used to make fun of me, calling me an "alcoholic" and then casting me out because my smoke stank.

They followed up both those habits only months after me and now it seems the tables have turned and I'm one of the few who doesn't smoke.

I know it's extremely childish thinking that I looked cool with my cigarette case and zippo. But now I feel like a part of me is missing.

I haven't smoked for 11 days - on the inside I'm proud of myself. My mother is very happy with me, but I don't think my dad even noticed yet lol.

I've realised that smoking is just so not worth it in the long run.

I am correct, right?

-Xm8
    ja77 Posts: 250, Reputation: 36

Jan 30, 2009, 05:00 PM

You have done a really great thing to protect your health and well being.. As a male there is a lot of harm smoking can cause even weak erections so being smoke free is a must.

I myself have been trying to give up since New Year - but sadly have not got to being 100% smoke free yet -

Stick with it - you have made a really good choice and should be very proud of yourself being smoke free for as long as you have.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 07:49 PM

You made the best decision.
    Where and what does smoking really accomplish. It is a dirty, ugly, expensive habit... for what?
    I have heard of people putting the money they would have spent on cigarettes in a jar and then every year taking the money and spending it on something you have to show something for. Like a new stereo system, down payment on a car, vacation,.
    All that smoking accomplishes is your money going up in smoke and then
    Possible dr/hospital bills.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 08:01 AM

Smoking tobacco is the single largest cause of preventable deaths. In the United States, car accidents cause about 30,000 deaths per year. Smoking causes more than 400,000 people to die early each year in the US, mostly from different forms of cancer (lung, esophageal) or from heart disease, which nicotine promotes. About 20% of the people who die every year, die from smoking. In addition, smokers are much more likely to have emphysema--a deadly lung condition--as well as a life long increase risk of upper respiratory infections, more sick days and lost work time.

On average, teen smokers are less confident than non smokers, thus more susceptible to peer pressure. So smoking is a marker for insecurity.

In the U.S. smokers are much more likely to pay into systems like Social Security and insurance programs, but die before being able to draw out the money they are due. Their premature deaths benefit the rest of us.

Nearly all smokers started smoking well before age 18. Very few people who start smoking later in life become addicted. It's much easier to become addicted when you are young. A researcher who studies how tobacco companies market cigarettes to young people said that if big tobacco were prevented from selling cigarettes to children and teenagers, they'd be out of business in a generation.

XM8, at 11 days you are not out of the woods yet. Hang in there. It's sad to hear that your father has actively encouraged you to smoke with all those smoking related gifts and now when you have quit, he says nothing. Does he smoke? I'm amazed that any parent would be so indifferent to your long term health. You are doing the right thing! It will get easier as time goes by.

Jan 31, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Smoking tobacco is the single largest cause of preventable deaths. In the United States, car accidents cause about 30,000 deaths per year. Smoking causes more than 400,000 people to die early each year in the US, mostly from different forms of cancer (lung, esophageal) or from heart disease, which nicotine promotes. About 20% of the people who die every year, die from smoking. In addition, smokers are much more likely to have emphysema--a deadly lung condition--as well as a life long increase risk of upper respiratory infections, more sick days and lost work time.

On average, teen smokers are less confident than non smokers, thus more susceptible to peer pressure. So smoking is a marker for insecurity.

In the U.S., smokers are much more likely to pay into systems like Social Security and insurance programs, but die before being able to draw out the money they are due. Their premature deaths benefit the rest of us.

Nearly all smokers started smoking well before age 18. Very few people who start smoking later in life become addicted. It's much easier to become addicted when you are young. A researcher who studies how tobacco companies market cigarettes to young people said that if big tobacco were prevented from selling cigarettes to children and teenagers, they'd be out of business in a generation.

XM8, at 11 days you are not out of the woods yet. Hang in there. It's sad to hear that your father has actively encouraged you to smoke with all those smoking related gifts and now when you have quit, he says nothing. Does he smoke? I'm amazed that any parent would be so indifferent to your long term health. You are doing the right thing! It will get easier as time goes by.
    I'm well aware of the consequences of smoking. Due to smoking, I had a very mucous-thick cough for 4 months in 2007. In the past 3 months, I caught the flu twice, bronchitis and tonsilits and I'm more than certain they were all related to smoking.

I told myself, while smoking may make me feel cool for the time being - In ten years when I look back at my teenage self I know I will feel guilty and think what an idiot I was to have succumbed to peer pressure and have become a slave to Marlboro.

My father used to smoke cigarettes, but he cut down on them and sticks to a pipe most of the time.

I know for a fact my father wouldn't have ever dreamt of giving me those presents if he knew I would end up smoking. Like my mother, my dad has lectured me tons of times on how I should stop because I have the will power to and it's so easy for me because I'm not as addicted as a life-long smoker.

To be honest I asked for all those things, zippos and cigarette case. When he gave me those lighters he didn't know I smoked, I asked to have them under the cover that they were cool. Indeed they're limited editions and they are outstanding.

I've decided that instead of spending money on cigarettes I'm going to expand my zippo collection and not use them for smoking - it's much more enjoyable and healthier that way :)

My father works a lot and I don't smoke around him so much so it's only logical that he wouldn't notice if I had smoked or not. I'm sure once I tell him he'll be very proud of me.

Anyway I would never blame my father for turning me into a smoker. The only reason I started smoking for in the first place was peer pressure. The first time my dad found out I had smoked he stuffed a cigarello in my mouth and made me chew it. You would think that would have been enough to stop me dead in my tracks but he even went so far as corporal punishment to get me off the thing. That didn't work either. I blame myself for having let myself be led on by a bunch of show-off d*ck heads at school.

It's been over 12 days now, and I'm not too keen on going back - so screw Marlboro, I refuse to be owned by them or any other form of cigarette poison.

-Xm8
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 02:19 PM

Congratulations! I misunderstood and thought your father knew you were smoking when he gave you the zippos etc. Apparently, hitting you and stuffing a cigarillo in your mouth didn't work, which is a lesson too.

Jan 31, 2009, 02:52 PM

Yea my dad knows I've grown up know and he treats me like an adult (almost).

I was out of hand at the time (not just smoking) and he did go a bit too far. But now we understand each other and we get along just perfectly.

-Xm8
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 03:02 PM

;you can always collect lighters and smoking memory but not smoking is so much better for you

Jan 31, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XM8 View Post
    Yea my dad knows I've grown up know and he treats me like an adult (almost).

I was out of hand at the time (not just smoking) and he did go a bit too far. But now we understand each other and we get along just perfectly.

-Xm8
    That's really good I think its good to have an open working relationship with your parents.

Hey another day smoke free :)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 03:56 PM

Right on girl! You rock ! I wish I had half of your determination.. I might quit too!

Spread the word to your friends.. make it a thang
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I might quit too!!
    That would be so cool.

Feb 1, 2009, 08:19 AM

Hehe... Day 13. People at school said I won't make it past 3 weeks - what wimps lol
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:32 AM

Also realize the trap many smokers fall into after they have quit for so long they decide just one cigarette and then I will quit again. They say it gets harder to quit every time they start again. So don't fall into that thinking,

Feb 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Also realize the trap many smokers fall into after they have quit for so long they decide just one cigarette and then I will quit again. They say it gets harder to quit every time they start again. So don't fall into that thinking,
    Thanks n0help4u,

You're so right about that. 2 days ago I even resisted going to smoke a water pipe with friends. I knew it would put me back on the road to destruction - and anyway I want to be as healthy and as smoke-free as possible so smoking in any form is a no-go for me.

-Xm8
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:35 AM

Good for you!

Do you feel any different yet?

Feb 1, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Right on girl!! You rock ! I wish I had half of your determination..I might quit too!!

Spread the word to your friends..make it a thang
    I might quit too! Snap I have been feeling the same way since the start of 2009 ;)

Feb 1, 2009, 01:06 PM

I don't have any real friends so no one really supports me except my parents. Of course it's nice, but I wish people at school would be more supporting because in the end it does help.

Whatever...

-Xm8

Feb 1, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XM8 View Post
    I don't have any real friends so no one really supports me except my parents. Of course it's nice, but I wish people at school would be more supporting cus in the end it does help.

Whatever...

-Xm8

Xm8 you will find a lot of support here on the forum :) keep up the none smoking and its good that your family are supporting you.

Feb 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ja77 View Post
    Xm8 you will find a lot of support here on the forum :) keep up the none smoking and its good that your family are supporting you.
    Ja77,

Thanks a lot, it's great to know that people support me here as well. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want the SRS document of any well managed software . [ 3 Answers ]

I want the srs document (completely filled ) of any well managed software . No matter what so ever it is? Hi ; How are you. I am a student of Computer engineering and I have to submit an assignment about srs document about any software/project. I have no idea about the srs...

How issues are managed specifically in management [ 1 Answers ]

I think your management has aboundary but do you handle its issues specifically and do not mix with other issues

22 and never managed to come. [ 3 Answers ]

I am engaged to my one true love, we have been sexually active for 3 years now and I still haven't achieved an orgasm. I have tried all the regular methods: plain sex, oral, masturbation, etc. No matter what I cannot achieve an orgasm. I don't have sensitive nipples at all and foreplay gets boring,...

Managed loan [ 2 Answers ]

I am Slovakian. I have a managed loan with HSBC. Can't really pay it.If I go back to my country can the bank track me down? Can they come and ask me for the money I owe? Can they take my parents house? Can they do that?

VPN? Managed firewall? [ 7 Answers ]

If a customer wants a VPN device, what exactly (in laymans terms please) is that? I have looked it up on the web but am not getting the whole jist of what it exactly is? :confused: Also they want us to manage their firewall. Can you explain this also. SOrry, just beginning to learn what this...

View more questions Search