Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abc2004 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Unfair debt collection from my ex-company
    Hi experts. I have very painful situation. Please help me. Here is the story:
    I left my company, but now my company asked back for the tuition reimbursment which I used last year and they said it is company police, but I never awarded about it. The total amount is about 20k. And now it is sent to collection. Could you advise me what to do next? (I have already talked with my company and they told me I need to talk with collector. ) Any best solution for me? I have to pay it? If so, how I can avoid any fees involved or possible to reduce the payment. Please advise. Thank you to rescue me and God bless you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abc2004 View Post
    Hi experts. I have very painful situation. Please help me. Here is the story:
    I left my company, but now my company asked back for the tuition reimbursment which I used last year and they said it is company police, but I never awared about it. the total amount is about 20k. and now it is sent to collection. Could you advise me what to do next? (I have already talked with my company and they told me I need to talk with collector. ) Any best solution for me? I have to pay it? If so, how I can avoid any fees involved or possible to reduce the payment. please advise. thank you to rescue me and God bless you

What Country? There should be an employment agreement that covers this. What does it say?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2009, 03:29 PM

As noted, the tuition reimbursement plan has specific provisions. Often there are rules about paying back the reimbursement if you leave the company in a certain amount of time Why should a company pay for your education then have you quit and use it at some other company.

You need to negotiate this out with the collection agency.

Jan 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Thank you very much for your prompt response. I highly appreciate it and very helpful. Could I know how to negotiate with the collector? By phone or by letter? I searched the web and some say it is foolish by phone. How do you think? Thanks

Jan 30, 2009, 03:57 PM

You can try by phone, but make sure any agreements are in writing.

Jan 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Thanks a lot. That is really helpful. Exactly I was forced to quit and I don't have any job yet. Do you think I can negotiate with the collector on deduction or waive of the total amount for this situation? Thanks
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 04:29 PM
    thanks a lot. That is really helpful. Exactly I was forced to quit and I don't have any job yet. Do you think I can negociate with the collector on deduction or waive of the total amount for this situation? thanks

My feeling is that you had an employment agreement or contract and are bound by its terms, the same as any other contract.

I can guarantee they won't waive the bill. Negotiate - possibly but if there's a contract, they don't need to do that.

Jan 30, 2009, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    My feeling is that you had an employment agreement or contract and are bound by its terms, the same as any other contract.

I can guarantee they won't waive the bill. Negotiate - possibly but if there's a contract, they don't need to do that.

Thank you very much for your valuable advice and kindness. I will let you know the result after I talked with them. You are so smart.

Jan 30, 2009, 04:56 PM

They may allow you to postpone payments until you have another job. I would push for that as well as no interest accruing.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Thank you very much for your valuable advice and kindness. I wil let you know the result after I talked with them. You are so smart.

Please let us know and Scott's advice is very important - perhaps you can get a freeze on the interest and payments when you find employment.

As long as you're negotiating you should ask for everything that would help you. You can always take less than you request but you won't get more.

Feb 5, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hi guys,

First OF all let me make clear. I am in USA. It is about 10k not 20k
    I talked with someone from the collector yesterday and she asked me to fax my grade to her and I asked her that is all she want and she told me "Yes". Today I faxed her grade and I called her to make sure that she got it. Later she gave the phone to another lady. The second lady asked me to pay the total amount. It seams she knows all my records. My credit card, my job situation now. Now I just got 50 minutes / week job and it is not really started. I told her that I don't have a job as I don't count this as a job --- only an hour /wk which can't make the 2 end meet, plus I am afraid she will bother my new company. She also asked me for the phone and I told her I can't afford one. I asked for more information as I really don't know the policy. She old me that after she mail it to me, I only have 7 days for it which starts from the letter sent out. I asked more time and she won't give me. I feel that there is no negotiable point here and the time is too short. Can sb gave some advice what I need to do now? Is it OK to give her my phone? Is it smart to continue negotiating this with her on the phone? I am so scared that they will record all and give me more trouble later on. Thank you for your help.

Feb 5, 2009, 01:04 PM

You can negotiate on the phone but any agreement needs to be in writing before you proceed with it. I would not give a work number, but you should give a home or cell number. I definitely wouldn't hide from them.

But frankly, if they proceed to try and get a judgement against you, I suspect they will succeed. However, unless you have some income or assets, there is little they can do until you do.

Feb 5, 2009, 01:12 PM

Thank you for your advice. If I have to pay it back. The collector has a website from there I can pay them by credit card. Is it OK to do that or it is better to mail a check to them? I am afraid they will make a late charge or some kind of charge to me if the check won't mail to them on time or they say that way. Is it possible? Thanks

Feb 5, 2009, 01:25 PM

Its not an IF, you have to pay it back. The question is when and how. I would pay by credit card if they allow since you have a record and can dispute the charge if you find out its wasn't correct.

Feb 5, 2009, 01:36 PM

So you mean that there is no negotiation for this. I have to pay it and pay the full amount?
    If I pay by credit card, is there any way they can use my credit card to charge me again and again later? As they have all my info: credit card number, the number on the bk of my card.

Feb 5, 2009, 01:44 PM

I didn't say there couldn't be negotiation. You can try to negotiate a settlement. If they agree, get it in writing before you make any payment. Then, if they did try to charge your card for anything more then they agreed to you could get it reversed.

Feb 5, 2009, 02:08 PM

How to do that. Normally the credit card company won't like to help with this. Thanks

Feb 5, 2009, 02:10 PM
    By your exp, is there any collector will try to get more from you? Or they normally do?

Feb 5, 2009, 02:17 PM

A collector's job is to get as much of the amount owed as they think they can. But if they accept a settlement, then they are unlikely to try and get more.

Feb 5, 2009, 02:26 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I will update you after I talk with them again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Company VS Me? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I have searched through a lot of the information here and can't quite find one that corresponds wit my situation. So I literally just found out that I had been sued and the judgement was against me for a credit card I had when I was 18 and long since forgotten about, over 10 yrs. The way I...

Cancled Debt and Collection Debt showing up on Report [ 5 Answers ]

2 Questions I have a 1099-C from 2007, regarding a credit card debt that was canceled. Just today, I was notified I had a collection account appear on my report. (I have credit guard watch). I understand I have to claim the 1099-C on my Taxes as "income" on my report. (1) Since I have...

Collection company [ 3 Answers ]

Can a collection company place a freeze on your checking account, it there is more then just yourself on it? Do they need a jusgement before they can garnish wages? And third can they make a spouse cash in there 401k if they were never liabale for this debt? I am in Minnesota if that helps.

Collection company [ 2 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection company stating that I owe an account from 1998-2000 on a phone bill for $768 in Florida. I stated that I need to see proof of this. They sent me an incomplete copy of a phone bill without it being itemized. At this point I don't even know if this is a accurate...

View more questions Search