Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abc2004 View Post
    Exactly I was forced to quit
    Hello abc:

If you were forced to quit, that may effect the validity of the loan. Before I decided to pay $10,000 I'd run it by a lawyer first.

excon
    abc2004 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 12:28 PM

Hi Expert, I am back. As I talked with the colletor on the phone last Saturday. She gave me an offer to pay 8k. At the same time, I also mailed out a validation letter. The collector promised to mail me that 8k settlement to me and she told me that if I didn't get it by Wednsday, I can call them. Today is Wedn and no that letter in the mail. What I should do now?
    1. Is it good idea to call them back? (I really scared to call them as they record every sentence and it is not a good sign.)
    2. At the same time I talked with my ex-employer, the rep saw that I had grade (the co policy that you must have grade and C over to get reimbursed), he had no idea why mine has gone to collection and he created a case for me. Monday a guy called me back. He told me that they don't have any contract that I signed, but they told me that I did it online which means that I clicked "agree" botton online. They won't offer me a copy of that agreement. I want to know if they sue on this, can they win? I really feel unfair about this. Not only I don't know this, the reps in our company and the one collector they all don't aware of this, because at first they all told me that after I submit my grade and I am all set. That is the only company rule that everyone knows. Plus I never and I can't use what I have learnt in my future job.
    Thank you very much for your time and concern.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2009, 12:45 PM

Well we have two issues here. First, the company policy. Most tuition reimbursement plans do require that you get a certain grade to get reimbursed. But may also have a time frame during which you must stay with the company or you have to return what they paid.

So you do need to confirm whether you have to repay or not. If the company rep says you don't then put him in touch with the collector.

As for the collector, call and tell them you didn't receive their settlement offer. Ask them to e-mail or fax you a copy.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:16 PM

1. Here is the update. My ex-employer emailed me that contract just now which has no my signature, but they said it is co policy to repay them.
    2. Can I request that settlement letter by fax not by phone? Thanks.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:29 PM

What you want is a written coipy signed by someone in the collection agency. A Fax or e-mailed copy is good.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:30 PM

Let me make clear here. Grade is not an issue for me as I already submitted it when I was employed there. The only issue is to repay them as I no longer work for them.

Feb 11, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Sorry. I just saw your response. Thank you very much. I will do that.

Feb 17, 2009, 02:51 PM

I just talked with the collector. In order to give me a settlement, they asked me send 2 letters: 1. I no longer want to dispute this. 2. I require them to send the settlement letter to me.
    Could you advise what I need to do now? Is it a trick or a real settlement? After I send the 2 letters, do I still have room to negotiate with them?
    I got the contract that I signed. It only states that "I understand that I am responsible for all charges for which I am not eligible under the co's policy." It didn't state that I should repay it after I left the co, but my co said that I clicked the agree button which stated that. Is this legal binding? Please advise. Thanks a lot.

Feb 17, 2009, 04:00 PM

First, they need to show you where on the website it states that you agree to repay. I'm sure it does, but If you clicked an agree button, then the terms must be there.

Second, I would NOT sign any agreement that you no longer dispute that you owe them until they accept a settlement.

Feb 17, 2009, 07:56 PM

I just want to know that in this situation the collector will keep her promise to do the settlement or not? Is it just a trick by your exp?

Feb 17, 2009, 08:04 PM

That's why you get it in writing.

Feb 18, 2009, 11:30 AM

I feel hoepless for this. If I pay them now, will they report this to my credit report? After the payment, how my credit report will look like for this collection? Thank you very much.

Feb 18, 2009, 01:01 PM

Don't know whether they will or will not report it. I would tend to doubt it though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Company VS Me? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I have searched through a lot of the information here and can't quite find one that corresponds wit my situation. So I literally just found out that I had been sued and the judgement was against me for a credit card I had when I was 18 and long since forgotten about, over 10 yrs. The way I...

Cancled Debt and Collection Debt showing up on Report [ 5 Answers ]

2 Questions I have a 1099-C from 2007, regarding a credit card debt that was canceled. Just today, I was notified I had a collection account appear on my report. (I have credit guard watch). I understand I have to claim the 1099-C on my Taxes as "income" on my report. (1) Since I have...

Collection company [ 3 Answers ]

Can a collection company place a freeze on your checking account, it there is more then just yourself on it? Do they need a jusgement before they can garnish wages? And third can they make a spouse cash in there 401k if they were never liabale for this debt? I am in Minnesota if that helps.

Collection company [ 2 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection company stating that I owe an account from 1998-2000 on a phone bill for $768 in Florida. I stated that I need to see proof of this. They sent me an incomplete copy of a phone bill without it being itemized. At this point I don't even know if this is a accurate...

View more questions Search