Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krb Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Starting a horse rescue
    Is it possible to get a land grant for a non-profit horse rescue farm? Where would I look for this information. I haven't had much luck yet
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 05:29 AM

Hi, krb!

Where have you looked so far, please?

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krb View Post
    Is it possible to get a land grant for a non-profit horse rescue farm? Where would I look for this information. I haven't had much luck yet
    Hello k:

If you mean, where can you get FREE money and/or land to start this business, you're not going to find any... Even if this was the GREATEST idea since sliced bread, ain't NOBODY going to shell out bucks to get you started.

That just ain't the way the world works..

excon
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello k:

If you mean, where can you get FREE money and/or land to start this business, you're not gonna find any.... Even if this was the GREATEST idea since sliced bread, ain't NOBODY gonna shell out bucks to get you started.

That just ain't the way the world works..

excon
    Hi, ex!

Oh, I don't know about that! In my section of the woods in the Midwest, it might be possible for someone to donate space for such a thing, even if it weren't going to be for some sort of tax deduction.

I can find people who'll be glad to lend me space for any number of business activities.

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Hello Clough:

I don't disagree. In fact, if someone had the experience, contacts, and financing, and ALL they needed was some land, THAT could be a successful business.

However, in my view, MOST of the people asking such questions here have NOTHING - NO experience, NO money, and NO idea of what they are considering... All they have is a fantasy.

THOSE are the people who I'm addressing... Now, I don't know which category the OP falls into... But, I have a sneaking hunch the OP is more a dreamer than a businessperson.

excon
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:52 AM

Hi, excon!

I do agree with you about that concerning a lot of the posters. I just want to give them the benefit of the doubt before making some sort of judgment.

A period allowed for discovery may be necessary for some of the folks that post here...

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 01:54 PM

First a horse resue is a wonder and great thing. You would have a professional grant writer review and see if they can find any government offers for any animial rights grants,

You would need to form a non profit corporation to work though, using your years of experience with horses and animal you would also make contacts and ask for assitance though groups like PETA and the Humane Society.

Then you contcact 100's of businesses, Walmart, Sears, look for horse groups, saddle manufactors, feed groups and more.

Feb 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Clough:

I don't disagree. In fact, if someone had the experience, contacts, and financing, and ALL they needed was some land, THAT could be a successful business.

However, in my view, MOST of the people asking such questions here have NOTHING - NO experience, NO money, and NO idea of what they are considering.... All they have is a fantasy.

THOSE are the people who I'm addressing... Now, I don't know which category the OP falls into... But, I have a sneaking hunch the OP is more a dreamer than a businessperson.

excon
    People that make judgements piss me off. I have worked with horses for 20 years and had my own business for 10 years. I have successfully rehabilitated abused and neglected horses. It's not just a fantasy, I have done research on it for a while.

Feb 2, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First a horse resue is a wonder and great thing. You would have a professional grant writer review and see if they can find any government offers for any animial rights grants,

You would need to form a non profit corporation to work though, using your years of experience with horses and animal you would also make contacts and ask for assitance though groups like PETA and the Humane Society.

Then you contcact 100's of businesses, Walmart, Sears, look for horse groups, saddle manufactors, feed groups and more.
    Thank you so much and I greatly appreciate the POSITIVE reply. Thanks for the tips!
    Ray Miller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krb View Post

I am also looking for funding for a horse rescue farm for the day to day operation.

I have 200 + acres and 19 outbuildings at my ranch in Wisconsin. Easy on easy off interstate access.

I am in the process of forming a non-profit corp. to operated the rescue ranch.

Perhaps we could work together.

Feb 10, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Wow. I lived in Wyoming before, but never been to Wisconsin=) I have started to go back to school to try to get into Physical Therapy school, although the horse rescue is what I really want. Have you had any luck finding funding? One of my ideas if I could ever get it off the ground is that I know a country singer- Jason Michael Carroll who has just recently gotten big. I am pretty sure he would do a benefit concert. I think fundraising, private, corporate donations are good ways to start.

Feb 10, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Wow. I lived in Wyoming before, but never been to Wisconsin=) I have started to go back to school to try to get into Physical Therapy school, although the horse rescue is what I really want. Have you had any luck finding funding? One of my ideas if I could ever get it off the ground is that I know a country singer- Jason Michael Carroll who has just recently gotten big. I am pretty sure he would do a benefit concert. I think fundraising, private, corporate donations are good ways to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rescue Remedy [ 10 Answers ]

I have been taking this for a couple of weeks now, I do think its calming me down (had a personal trauma recently), but that could be because it contains Brandy... :) Has anybody used this for any period? Do you think it works? Would you recommend it? Sharon :o

How would I go about starting a horse stable business? [ 2 Answers ]

I am very interested in opening a horse stable business. I have never started any kind of business before so I don't even know where to begin. Any advice would be helpful.:confused:

My Rescue Dog Won't Eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just adopted a Doberman from a Dobie rescue organization. He's about a year old. When he was rescued, he was all ribs and bones. They had him about 4 months and he has put on a little weight. Since coming to my house, he won't eat. He will come to eat then turn his nose and walk away. I know he's...

View more questions Search