Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliasma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Obsessed with being first
    My soon to be 5 year old is obsessed with being first at everything. First up the stairs, first to arrive at school, first on in the door, first walking up the block etc. I've talked to her teachers who say she does try to be first for projects, but will accept the "it's not your turn to be first today answer". Her gymnastics coach tells me that it's her "natural drive" and that I shouldn't try to control it. I'm her mother and I find it offensive when she's pushing past people to be the line leader. I can only imagine what the mother of the child she is pushing past must think. I don't know how to get her to understand that she can't be first always! Any suggestions?
    xoxoheartsnluv Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:12 PM

Explain to her that it's not good to be first at everything. Think of things that aren't good about being first at. If that doesn't work, just let it go. My younger brother used to do that... "I wanna be the first to get out of the car!" "I wanna try before her!" As he got older it started to stop. When she starts to think she's too cool for everything else, that means she maturing. Then she will stop acting so childish and won't mind about who goes first.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 08:26 PM

Try making a game up. The slowest to ____ is the winner.

Being first is just another stage kids go through. You can always try talking to her and give her an example on how it makes others feel. For example :

"When you shove Betsy out of the way to be first it really hurts her feeling. I know you wouldn't like that"

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I got obsessed [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend broke up with me two weeks ago, after we were going out for four months, over a text message, and I think the main reason was because I got too involved in her life and she wanted to hang out with her friends more. I got upset when she started hanging out with them instead of me, and...

Why am I so obsessed? [ 2 Answers ]

I got dumped by the girl of my dreams in April. I completely scared her away. I was moving way too fast and she left. I became totally obsessed with her. Now the obsession is with me. I think about how I screwed it up and I torture my myself every day. I'm having such a hard time with the...

Obsessed with an ex [ 8 Answers ]

So I am totally obsessed with my ex. Not one hour goes by where I don't think about him. I want hangout with him everyday and never leave. I am so jealous... I don't want to picture him EVER with another girl, the thought makes me cringe every time. I am constantly wondering what he is doing and...

Obsessed with an ex [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so I think I'm totally obsessed with my ex! I find myself begging for him to take me back... how do I stop this? I kind of want to play his game and give that feeling like I'm just whatever about everything, but I don't want him to think that I don't want to be with him. One minute he will say...

Help! Am I obsessed? [ 60 Answers ]

I woke up today full of anxiety and just a general feeling of fear and I think its because I have a feeling that my boyfriend is cheating on me because he's been acting differently lately. He's not as interested in sex as he used to be and he doesn't seem to want to talk to me or be with me as...

View more questions Search