Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RK1952 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Where to send W2s
    I have a client who paid 2 employees for a very short period of work. He did not get the paperwork filled out, and before he did they disappeared. What do I do about the W-2s as far as the SS Administration is concerned? Not sure if they will be contacting him for their W-2s or not. They had taxes taken out and they were remitted - we just don't know where to mail the W-2s.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 30, 2009, 11:21 AM

I am requesting this be moved to the tax section so one of the tax experts can help you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2009, 11:41 AM

Actually the answer is simple. You mail them to the last known address. If the employees moved without leaving a forwarding or informing the employer of an address change, that is their problem. As long as the withholding was done properly and properly remitted and reports then the employer has done their job.

Jan 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Actually the answer is simple. You mail them to the last known address. If the employees moved without leaving a forwarding or informing the employer of an address change, that is their problem. As long as the withholding was done properly and properly remitted and reports then the employer has done their job.
    I think he is saying they never got an address at all...

Also it should be noted that you still need to send the form into the IRS and I think today is your last day to do so.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    I think he is saying they never got an address at all...

Also it should be noted that you still need to send the form into the IRS and I think today is your last day to do so.
    On re-reading, that may be true. In that case he just keeps them until they are claimed. Tomorrow is the last day for mailing to employees. The reporting schedule for the IRS is different.

Jan 30, 2009, 12:03 PM

Now that I think about it I am pretty sure you need to send the forms into the IRS by the end of Feb. That is why I wanted the post moved I am not a tax expert.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
    The lack of address is not a problem. The employees WILL come looking for the W-2s.

What is the problem is the lack of SSNs. You can send the W-2s without the SSN to both the IRS, the Social Security Administration and to the state tax authorities, but without the SSN, none of those agencies would have any means to porperly credit their account.

If SSN are available, then look in the IRS instructions for the mailing address and on the state website for the state mailing address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I send something! [ 4 Answers ]

I wanted to send someone flowers to say sorry to them, Does it seem weird to send flowers to a guy.We had a silly misunderstanding which was all my fault. So what do you think.

Should I send her home [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old and her father is not a bad man I was into drugs and traveled a lot and it took me awhile to get clean I have been clean for 2 years now and me and the father have joint custody and he has custodial and well my child keeps getting head lice every time she comes over and he...

Converting to mp3 and send [ 3 Answers ]

How do I convert a music file into an mp3 so that I can send it via email?

W-2, send to state? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently doing the payroll taxes for my company, it is the first time. I know that I have to send a copy of the w-2s and w-3 to the Social Security Admin. but do I also have to send something to the State. I live in California. Thanks

View more questions Search