Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josephbhil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Christian beliefs
    What are the main denominations or churches in the world ? What's the basic difference in beliefs? Which is the oldest church or first church in the world? Is their belief also wrong?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Christianity - Faiths & Prayer - Beliefnet.com
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by josephbhil View Post
    what are the main denominations or churches in the world ?
    Catholic is the largest.
    Eastern Orthodox next.

Here's a list:
    Adherents.com: Largest Religious Bodies

what's the basic difference in beliefs?
    Between those two? Hardly any. Basically, one submits to the authority of the Pope and one doesn't.

which is the oldest church or first church in the world? Is their belief also wrong?
    The Catholic Church. I believe they teach the truth.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Jan 31, 2009, 10:01 PM
    What a person belsieves in, is a truth and religion to them. There are too many to name
    Here. Most religion have a book called the bible but they are not all the same. If a person is looking for one they would like, it would take time to study different onse to find what
    You would like. I would pray and ask for direction from God, most believe in a God.
    I go to a nondedomination church that teaches the Holy Bible, we don't go by man made
    Rules we go by what our bible and Jesus teaches.

Maggie 3
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by josephbhil View Post
    what are the main denominations or churches in the world ? whats the basic difference in beliefs? which is the oldest church or first church in the world? is their belief also wrong?
    There are many denominations, but if you want to know what true Christianity is, go to what the 66 books of the Bible teach. Contrary to what some may say, there were absolutely no denominations in the 1st Century. All you had then was Biblically based Christianity. Biblically based Christianity is correct because the Bible is fully inspired by God. Denominations are manmade institutions, and are correct insofar as they adhere to what the Bible says, rather than trying to interpret the Bible themselves or add their own manmade doctrines.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 11:16 AM

One hears the claim that there were no denominations in early Christianity with increasing frequency these days from certain broadly fundamentalist quarters. The problem with the claim is that it is absolutely unsupported by the historical evidence. First century Christianity included Gnostics and so-called "Judaizers". There were also former followers of John the Baptist who had strained relations with the Apostolic communities. Oh, and there were the Apostolic churches themselves, the ones which constitute the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches of today.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    One hears the claim that there were no denominations in early Christianity with increasing frequency these days from certain broadly fundamentalist quarters. The problem with the claim is that it is absolutely unsupported by the historical evidence. First century Christianity included Gnostics and so-called "Judaizers". There were also former followers of John the Baptist who had strained relations with the Apostolic communities. Oh, and there were the Apostolic churches themselves, the ones which constitute the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches of today.
    Which do you think were denominations?

The Catholic and Orthodox denominations did not exist until a few centuries later, but all churches which exist today, to one degree or another grew from those early Apostolic churches.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Which do you think were denominations?

Hard to say, since the term "denomination" gets thrown around in such a loose way. If by "denomination" you mean something like "appellation", then lots of Christians referred to themselves by the names of their leaders and/or localities. If by "denomination" you mean something like distinct groups of people, all claiming to be Christians, who believed importantly different things regarding doctrine, then the various Gnostic and "Judaizing" groups would count as denominations, as would some (though not all) of the former followers of John the Baptist who came to embrace Christianity. (Of course, some former JBap followers got into protracted arguments with Johannine communities regarding what true Christianity is and should be.) And, of course, Ignatius of Antioch coined the term "catholic" in order to distinguish true, Apostolic Christianity from the innovations of other groups (much like Christians had done in Acts, by calling themselves "Christians").

Perhaps if you could be more precise about what you mean by a "denomination" I could answer your question in a more precise way.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Hard to say, since the term "denomination" gets thrown around in such a loose way. If by "denomination" you mean something like "appellation", then lots of Christians referred to themselves by the names of their leaders and/or localities.
    Saying "I am a Canadian Christian" does not mean that there is a denomination called "Canadian Christians".

If by "denomination" you mean something like distinct groups of people, all claiming to be Christians, who believed importantly different things regarding doctrine, then the various Gnostic and "Judaizing" groups would count as denominations, as would some (though not all) of the former followers of John the Baptist who came to embrace Christianity.
    A group of people who just believe similar things does not constitute a denomination. Did they vote in a man at the top, or a governing body separate from Jesus and the Apostles? Did they create a church constitution or law? Did they add their own doctrinal distinctives or interpretations that their leadership requires all congregations that are part of their denomination to go by? If not, what exactly made some churches a denomination? Tell us what causes you to claim that there were denominations prior to the 4th century.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    A group of people who just believe similar things does not constitute a denomination.
    Okay, but you're deviating from standard usage. That's fine, so long as you very clearly explain what you mean by your use of the term "denomination". What you give below is a grab-bag.

Did they vote in a man at the top, or a governing body separate from Jesus and the Apostles?
    As I'm sure you know, a lot turns on what you mean by "separate".

Did they create a church constitution or law?
    Depends what you mean by "create". They certainly thought they were adhering to norms laid down by Christ and the Apostles. It's just that they disagreed about those norms.

Did they add their own doctrinal distinctives or interpretations that their leadership requires all congregations that are part of their denomination to go by?
    I think it's fair to say they didn't take themselves to be "adding" anything. They believed themselves to be adhering to the norms I just mentioned.

If not, what exactly made some churches a denomination? Tell us what causes you to claim that there were denominations prior to the 4th century.
    You use some pretty strong language ("separate", "create", "adding") and without giving a clear and untendentious account of what you take a denomination to be, I don't know how to answer your question. I honestly can't figure out what you mean by your frequent talk of "denominations".

Do you believe that the Donatists were a denomination? Or the Novatianists? They existed before the fourth century. So did Gnostics like the Valentinians, the Basilideans, the Marcionites, to name just a few. In what sense of "denomination" were none of these denominations?
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Okay, but you're deviating from standard usage.
    Actually, I am holding to standard usage. That is why I am trying to figure out how you are using the term. My comments were not defining the term, but pointing out some facts while waiting for you to define what you mean. You said that there were denominations in the 1st century and I know few other people who make that claim (even Fred said recently that there were no denominations in the 1st century), so I am very interested to hear how you conclude that there were.

I note that you did not answer the clarifying questions that I asked, which were:

What exactly made some churches a denomination? Tell us what causes you to claim that there were denominations prior to the 4th century.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:23 PM

Denomination.

1. The action of naming; giving a name to, calling by a name.
    2. A characteristic name given to a thing or class of things; a designation.
    3. A class of one kind of unit in any system of numbers, weights, money, etc. distinguished by a specific name.
    4. A class, sort, of kind distinguished by a specific name.
    5. A body of people classed together under the one name; spec. a religious sect or body with distinctive name and organization.

Oxford English Dictionary, 5th edition.

In which of these senses of "denomination" were there no denominations in early Christianity? I've listed several that look to me like denominations (most recently in post #10), but since you've chosen to be coy about what you take the word "denomination" to mean, I can't tell what your criteria are. You've been asked on several other threads, by people other than me, to clarify your understanding of "denomination". As the OED definition indicates, the word "denomination" is typically used descriptively; you, however, appear to use it as an evaluative term (though I can't tell for sure because I've never seen you explain what you mean by it). This would certainly be a deviation from standard usage.

Why do I think there were denominations? Because there were. Examples were given in previous posts. If you think these were not denominations, then I really don't know what you mean by your use of the word. You can either explain it (should be simple enough) or not.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Denomination.

1. The action of naming; giving a name to, calling by a name.
    2. A characteristic name given to a thing or class of things; a designation.
    3. A class of one kind of unit in any system of numbers, weights, money, etc. distinguished by a specific name.
    4. A class, sort, of kind distinguished by a specific name.
    5. A body of people classed together under the one name; spec. a religious sect or body with distinctive name and organization.

Oxford English Dictionary, 5th edition.

In which of these senses of "denomination" were there no denominations in early Christianity? I've listed several that look to me like denominations (most recently in post #10), but since you've chosen to be coy about what you take the word "denomination" to mean, I can't tell what your criteria are.
    I have not been coy. I agree with this definition. Now, why don't you tell us what you identify as a denomination in the 1st century and how you have come to that determination.

I trust that you know that it is appropriate for the person who claims denominations exist to provide the evidence for the claim, rather than for someone to provide evidence of non-existence.

So, the ball is in your court.

Why do I think there were denominations? Because there were. Examples were given in previous posts. If you think these were not denominations, then I really don't know what you mean by your use of the word. You can either explain it (should be simple enough) or not.
    Ah, who's being coy now?
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 08:58 PM

Donatists
    Novatianists
    Valentinians
    Basilideans
    Marcionites

Each of these is a designation, and each designation dates from before the 4th century. So they satisfy ##2, 4, and 5 of the OED definition of "denomination". (Note that in order to meet the definition they would have to satisfy only one; they satisfy three.) It follows that there were denominations prior to the 4th century. QED

Here's a first century denomination: "Judaizers". Here's another one: "Gnostics". Here's another one: "Christians".
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Donatists
    Novatianists
    Valentinians
    Basilideans
    Marcionites

Each of these is a designation, and each designation dates from before the 4th century. So they satisfy ##2, 4, and 5 of the OED definition of "denomination". (Note that in order to meet the definition they would have to satisfy only one; they satisfy three.) It follows that there were denominations prior to the 4th century. QED

Here's a first century denomination: "Judaizers". Here's another one: "Gnostics". Here's another one: "Christians".
    Just saying that they meet the definition is not good enough. Please explain and provide backup for why you believe that these are Christian denominations. Anyone can make up a list.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 09:03 PM

Closed, move it to the discussion board

You both believe one thing and the other another, no one is going to change their mind and to be honest it makes you both look fairly foolish and childish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Different beliefs [ 36 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I’ve decided to start another thread and I hope this one goes well. Many people have asked me about my beliefs, and why I believe what I do. It’s hard to explain, and is only significant to me, but maybe this will help. I am a Deist, I only recently heard of this word...

Islam Beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Central beliefs of Islam and how are they reflected in the Five Pillars?

Central Beliefs [ 3 Answers ]

What are the central beliefs of Islam, and how are they reflected in the "Five Pillars

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

Almost the same beliefs [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really"...

View more questions Search