Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Replaced chandelier, light stays on switch does not work
    I replaced a chandelier. Ceiling box had 3 black wires tied together, 3 white wires tied together, one red wire capped, and two ground copper wires tied together. The new light fixture had one white and one black wire. I connected the four black wires together and capped, the four white wires together and capped and the ground wire from the new fixture to the 2 ground copper wires. The light stays on and the wall switches do not work. The light fixture can normally be controlled by 2 wall switches. The previous light fixture was controlled by either of the two wall switches.
    I attempted to solve the problem by connecting the white chandelier wire to the 3 black wires and the black chandelier wire to the 3 white wires. Again the light stays on however the switches do not work.
    The house was built in the 1960s and there is a fuse box. No fuses blew with either wiring.
    Thank you for any help in correcting this problem. Dab
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 05:33 AM

You need to hook the black wire on the light to the red from ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch issue, Light stays on! [ 8 Answers ]

Im having a problem with a light switch... the light stays on regardless of the position of the switch. I have swaped the switch out with a new one and still have the same problem. The switch controls to recessed lights over a fireplace. In the box on the wall there are several wires: 2 white...

Light Switch won't work, light is burning [ 3 Answers ]

I walked into my house and turned on the kitchen overhead light. A loud electrical pop went off and the light blew. It did not blow the fuse but the light cannot be turned off now. Is the switch bad?

Replaced ceiling fan light switch - problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a ceiling fan with 2 pull chains (fan, light). It also operates via remote control. The wall switch is just on & off. In a perfect world, when it was first installed, the remote would make the lights brighter & dimmer. The remote would also do 4 different fan speeds. At some point,...

View more questions Search