Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GirlWSlingshot Posts: 224, Reputation: 21

Jan 29, 2009, 04:09 PM
    How to wean
    I've been breastfeeding for 16 months now and am considering weaning. My little one has no interest in nursing during the day but wakes up frequently to nurse at night. It's interrupting both of our sleep and he gets very possessive of his "Na Nas" in the evening, even if we're in public.

He's lactose intolerant but I've introduced lactose free whole milk in the last few months. He seems to have taken prettty well to it. I tried replacing his evening nursing session with a sippy cup of warm milk but he wakes up screaming every hour at night until I relent and give him "na nas" if I try to get away with that.

Any ideas on how to wean? I live alone with him so I can't try the old "send someone else to comfort him at night" switcheroo.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 08:07 PM

What works for some at that age is to tell him they are sleeping. He will understand a larger vocabulary than he can speak. If you are comfortable with the idea, you can also try alternatives for him to find comfort with... special cuddly toy, blanket, small pillow, etc.. There is also letting him fuss a bit... pat him, tell him it is time to sleep, go only as far as the door, whatever you are comfortable with. Take it slow... start with dropping one session for several days, then another, and so on. You may or may not want to keep the bedtime feed as it can be comforting for you both and is often the hardest to end.

It will take time and consistency on your part... and won't be easy, but it will get better.

Jan 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    What works for some at that age is to tell him they are sleeping. He will understand a larger vocabulary than he can speak. If you are comfortable with the idea, you can also try alternatives for him to find comfort with....special cuddly toy, blanket, small pillow, etc.. There is also letting him fuss a bit....pat him, tell him it is time to sleep, go only as far as the door, whatever you are comfortable with. Take it slow....start with dropping one session for several days, then another, and so on. You may or may not want to keep the bedtime feed as it can be comforting for you both and is often the hardest to end.

It will take time and consistency on your part....and won't be easy, but it will get better.
    Thanks Doula! You're such a fount of wisdom.

He has a special blanket that he sleeps with, I'll try reinforcing that as the comfort tool at night instead of "na nas". And from what you said, it makes sense to cut out one of the night time or morning feedings rather than his pre-bed feeding.

I have major mama guilt because I have to work full time so he spends his weekdays in daycare. That's why we've been nursing for longer, I figured that having that tie was a great way to maintain consistent baby and mama time. But he's gotten so possessive. And he's waking up to nurse, which is making it really hard to function on a daily basis.

Should I replace his night feedings with a sippy cup or milk or water? He acts like he's starving. But his food and liquid intake during the day is quite substantial. So I would guess that he isn't in need of the calories, that it's more a comfort thing. Right?

Thanks again...
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 09:40 AM

Probably more of a comfort thing, but there is nothing wrong with that as long as it works for you. Since it isn't, with the extent he is wanting it, cutting back a bit may be all you need. He may be eating and drinking plenty during the day, but he is still getting nutritional benefit and certainly immune benefits from breastfeeding.
    Maybe nurse in the evenings until he gets his fill, will give you both a sense of connection and a nice way to wind down at the end of the day. Then perhaps once at night if you are so inclined, or offer just a sippy cup. Remind him that it is night time, the "Na Nas" need to sleep, and so does he. Give him a hug, let him cuddle with his blanket, and see if he will go for it. Expect him to fuss a bit at first, but remind him it is time to sleep. He will catch on. If you still nurse before you go to work, let him know he can have some when it is morning.
    If he has been ill recently or has any teeth coming in, that could be a reason he wants the extra sessions. There can be exceptions at times, but you will have to decide how little or how much works for you.
    Might try it on the weekend and see how it goes so you don't have to worry about going to work or day care the next day.

Jan 30, 2009, 12:02 PM

Thanks again Doula...
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 12:57 PM

Happy to help when I can... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wean off prednisone and on to msn? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been on 5 mg twice a day dose of prednisone for about 3 months now. My doctor wants me to wean off it and onto methotrexate but I'm afraid of this drug. I would like to try msn but am not sure just how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas? I have rheumatoid arthritis.

Trying to wean kittens at 4 weeks old but mother cat gets in the way! [ 1 Answers ]

The mother cat is only about a year old but recently has been pushing her 4 week kittens away when their trying to suckle. The mother feeds in the kitchen whilst her kittens are in the front room. Ive tried feeding her kittens wet food - and they lick it off my finger - but as soon as the...

When Do I Wean My Cats Kittens? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my cat had kittens two and a half weeks ago and I was wondering when they will need weaning onto solid food? If anyone can help I would be very grateful. Thank you :)

Mother in law needs to grow up and wean off my husband! [ 11 Answers ]

My mother-in-law is trying to move in into our one-bedroom flat together with her 24 yr old daughter, a BIG dog,a cat and fish! Our flat is comfortable for just the two of us! I am trying to make my husband see that it is not possible. She's been painting us a picture that it's only for a year and...

Trying to wean a kitten ! [ 2 Answers ]

My cat had 3 kittens almost 8 weeks ago,while 2 of them have weaned no problem I'm still having bother with the 3rd :confused:.It won't take anything at all apart from the milk from its mother who lately is getting fed up with this kitten all together.Anyone with any advice? Id be very grateful :)

View more questions Search