Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammie232 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
    German nazi's
    I have a German friend who showed me her family album. Her dad had on a
    Swastiker as an armband. Being Jewish I was quite taken back. She told me
    That he HAD to join the Nazi party. I thought they just had to join the army.
    Is what she said true?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 29, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Yes, in the 30's and 40's if you wanted to get on in Germany you HAD to be a Party member, bit like Communist Russia.
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Feb 9, 2009, 08:07 PM

The German Gestapo, or secret police, were responsible for keeping citizens "in check" that included making sure they followed the nazi ways. The Nazi Party even went as far as altering textbooks in classrooms to promote their beliefs in schools. So it is quite possible that you're friend's dad could have been force to look the part of a Nazi supporter in order to avoid reprecussions from the Gestapo
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
    My grandfather was forced to fight for the Nazis as well. He was shot in the leg and his brother was killed. Thankfully, him and my grandmother, mother and uncle came to Canada after WWII.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 08:12 PM

Please understand the Nazi party was very popular to the people in the beginning. They bought crime under control though gu control. They got unemployment under control by creating a strong national government. People flocked to them at first

After that after the national government controlled the people, they had contol and then used fear to control them.

And then others were fighting because they wanted to protect their nation or fight for it, to do their duty. It was not till much latter in the party movement that it became much of what we think of today

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

German Passport if Married to German [ 2 Answers ]

I am married to a German. I am holder of a Lebanese Passport. My Wife and I live outside Germany. Can I get the German Passport?

Grandparents were German Jews - Can I get a German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I know a few years ago there was a program that allowed children and grandchildren of Holocaust-era German Jews to apply and receive German passports. I cannot find any information about this on the internet, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My father's parents both...

My father is German, Can I get a German Passport and how? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I want to get a German Passport. My father is German , living in Australia. What do I need to gain a German Passport. >Moved from Forum Help<

German J-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, as someone has already pointed out, a J-1 scholar from Germany can't stay more than two years without losing the tax treaty benefits retroactively. As such, I did not take the benefits as I knew I'd be here more than 2 years. I have been here before on a J-1 student visa, went back for 3...

German [ 5 Answers ]

How Do I Say : Hi, How Are You? In German

View more questions Search