Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bo15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 12:56 PM
    W2 State wages don't match Box 1 Wages: How to file GA state?
    I started to work on my son's taxes after getting his W2 yesterday. His box 1 wages are 13,300 but his state wages in box 16 are 4667. He is a full-time college student in GA and a GA resident. He worked full-time last May through Aug in Texas. They withheld federal taxes but no state taxes. I completed his 1040EZ with tax s/w and he's getting an $884 refund. The GA form (s/w) use his federal income to compute the state income and tax (owing 300). Is this correct? Should we just list 4667 as his state wages? If so, is that going to cause a problem since the GA instructions say to use Federal AGI (how do you do that?). Does he owe state tax on the 13,300? Really not sure what to do. Thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 03:09 PM
    That IS correct!

Your son is considered to be a full-year GA resident even though he spent part of the year in Texas, so ALL of his world-wide income is subject to GA income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State & Local Wages [ 1 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me the difference between state and local wages?

State wages for NY and NJ [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I received two W2 forms - I lived part year in NJ and part of the year in NY while working in NYC the entire time. The W2 for my time in NJ has NY state wages (box 16) same as box 1, while state wages for NJ are less than box 1. I know NY requires total Federal wages to be reported in...

State wages differ from federal wages on W2 [ 1 Answers ]

On my W2 Box #1 which lists "wages, tips, other comp. is a different number from box #16 which lists state wages, tips, etc. On my state tax return, which do I list as my wages?

How to Garnish wages state to state [ 1 Answers ]

I won a judgement against a person who lives in another state. How do you garnish wages if you live in Virginia and the other person lives in Maine.

PA State Tax - minimum wages earned before required to file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my son received his W2 late - He earned $477 in 2006. Is he required to file a PA State tax form? I understand he is not required to file a federal form based on the wages earned. Thank you

View more questions Search