Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    croton816 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Central Air
    Hi. I have a less than 2 year old Trane furnace and central air system. I noticed that my outdoor unit was full of leaves, dirt etc. I took the compressor cover off to clean it and when I was done I switched the breaker back on. Now the compressor fan runs when the a/c unit thermostat is off. It seems as though the compressor fan is only running at half speed too. Does the freon have to settle before the unit returns to normal? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 06:25 PM
    The fan motor in you Condensing unit is a 240 volt motor. One of the things that would make it seem as thought it was running at half speed is that one leg of the 240 volts is lost the other one is going through the motor but is grounded to the cabinet of the condensing unit therefore making it a 120 volt motor, and the slow RPM. This can be a very dangerous situaation, I am not sure how you cleaned out all the trash but you may have knocked a connector off and is it resting against the housing of the condenser.. That being the case the motor would never turn off and the compressor only having one 120 volt leg to run on would not even start because it is a large motor and needs the boast of a capacitor to start it. (Remember this is just an assumption made from a message you gave me over the internet and not necesseraly the root of your problem)
    croton816 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Wow you are good... That is exactly what happened. I apparently pulled the fan housing up too far unhooking one of the wires (purple) It then was resting against a terminal causing the fan motor to run at half speed constantly. Luckily inside the cabinet was the paperwork showing the wiring diagram. I put the wire where it belongs and am back in business again. Thank you for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the entire central air conditioning system we now have. 1. Which central air 3 ton condenser is better - a Rheem SEER 13 or a Carrier SEER 13 and why? 2. Which refrigerant is better and why - R 22 or 410 Puron? 3. Is it better to have the inter-connecting refrigerant piping...

What is going on with my central a/c [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago it would make this squealing sound when it came on. Then a couple of days later it shut off completely. I pressed the pressure limit switch that work for a little while then stopped again. Now nothing is coming on.

Central Air ON and OFF by itself [ 2 Answers ]

Over the winter I installed a digital Thermostat on my 10+ year old Heil Central Air system, and everything has worked great for a few months. Last week the system shutdown while the AC was running and never came back on. I turned the power off to the system at the furnace and outside I used a...

Central air [ 1 Answers ]

My air stopped being cold it still blows and is not all the way hot air, it is on auto, but won't cut off, and the thing outside is very cold. What is this

Central Air [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any easy way to estimate the size of a central air unit for my home?

View more questions Search