Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Jan 29, 2009, 11:24 AM
    I want bamboo in the southeast!
    As the title suggests, I actually want bamboo, and I am in Southern Mississippi. I have searched extensively on ABS trying to learn as much as I can on which species will suit my conditions and give me my desired results, but without doing some Q&A with those with firsthand experience, it leaves me kind of confused.

I want a good "lumber" crop. Largest diameter culm with greatest length between nodes. This will be used mainly for craft projects ranging from minor construction (furniture, sheds, pump houses, etc) to artistic (wind chimes, bird feeders/houses, etc) and practical uses (fencing, stakes, fishing poles, etc). I prefer species of fastest possible maturity to shorten harvest intervals.

I have well-drained topsoil that supports fast growth for everything from pines and oaks, to fruit-bearing trees and bushes, to basic veggie gardens and flowering plants. Grasses of all kinds seem to prosper very well. Topsoil averages 2' depth over sandy red clay. Hardiness zone is 8-9.

I am well aware of the different methods of containment for "running" species and am prepared to create barrier walls to prevent over-run of the bamboo into areas where I do not want it. If the initial plantings prove successful, I may utilize up two acres just for bamboo cultivation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which specific bamboo will suit my needs and give me the desired results? Sources? If possible I would like to get started before the warmer spring weather sets in so that I can get a jump on things and maybe get a few canes by next winter.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 11:43 AM

I no nothing about bamboo, but I wanted to point out that I just moved from GA (south of Atlanta) and along the highway by my house there was a big grove of bamboo plants.
    So it is possible, and I don't think it was baracaded by anything, just growing sort of wild.

jmbamboo Bamboo Nursery: Selling Cold Hardy Bamboo
    Clumping Cold Hardy Bamboo Plants In America

Jan 30, 2009, 08:30 AM
    That was an informative site, thank you! I sent Jim an email so see if I could get some help from someone who knows more about bamboo. From his site though, I think I have found two possible candidates, Moso or Japanese Timber bamboo. I think either of them will suit my situation and climate.
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Feb 11, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Bamboo is like mint ( only much bigger ) it spreads ! It can be very difficult to get rid of, if it was me, I would grow it in pots.

Feb 13, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Sam View Post
    Bamboo is like mint ( only much bigger ) it spreads ! It can be very difficult to get rid of, if it was me, I would grow it in pots.
    Shame it doesn't smell like mint too, that would be awesome, lol.
    It's going to be planted in the wide open, in large tracts. I'm hoping to find several sources to transplant from, so that I don't end up with just multiple clones of a single plant. As far as it spreading, in my scenario, it won't spread fast enough for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bamboo Roots [ 3 Answers ]

Can the roots (rhizomes) of running Bamboo plants cause harm to structures/foundations?

Bamboo flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in getting a bamboo floor put in. I want it to be darker than usual and I understand that the bamboo has to be heated to get the color. I also understand that the darked the color, the softer the bamboo is? I want to know how soft this flooring is going to be HONESTLY. Is it...

Bamboo Intrusion [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know a sure way to kill bamboo? My neighbor planted bamboo in his back yard and now the roots have come under the fence and threaten to eat up my yard. How about drilling a hole in the stumps and filling it with Round-Up? Any suggestions? Thanks, speedball1

View more questions Search