Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pkumar12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 10:13 AM
    Resident alein or non resident alien and filing status
    Hello,

I've couple of questions to you experts.
    I've worked in US on L1-B Visa for the entire year of 2006 and 2007 and stayed up to march 26th 2008. I was here again on 14th Dec 2008 on L1B again for work and likely to stay here until July 2009.

Q1) Filing taxes for the year 2008, Am I a resident alien or non-resident alien ?

I am married as of 31-dec-2008 and my wife stays with me in US from 14-dec-2008 on L2 dependent visa.

Q2 ) Should I file married filing jointly or married filing separately ? If married jointly, what are the things to be taken care of?

Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 01:05 PM

You are resident for 2008. You count 1/6 days of 2006 plus 1/3 days of 2007 and days in 2008. You can file joint return as residents. You will attach W7 (ITIN application) for your spouse. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

Filing status Resident or Non-Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen of INDIA and came to USA on 13, August 2003. I am on H1-B visa currently and would like to know, whether I come under resident (on substantial presence for more than 3 years) or Non-Resident? What form should I fill to file my taxes?

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Filing status for Non Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US on H1B visa from oct1, with my spouse & kid (both on H4). For 07 tax returns my residential status becomes Non Resident alien. What should be my tax filing status as my wife is a housewife? Should I claim both of them as dependents?

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

View more questions Search