Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klaroche Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2004, 11:08 AM
    Adding a spouse's name to mortgage
    I recently married and want my name added to the mortgage/title. How do we go about this?
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Apr 9, 2005, 11:29 PM
    Just do a quick deed at the courthouse and add her name.
    Todd Pope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by klaroche
    I recently married and want my name added to the mortgage/title. How do we go about this?
    What is process for added a spouse to mortgage?
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 10, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Mortgage and title are two different things. The mortgage is the loan you got from a financial institution to pay for the property. To add your name to that you would probaby have to go through the lender. The title is the deed to the property that is kept on record usually at the local courthouse/gov't agency. To add your name to that, it should be as easy as filling the necessary paperwork at the courthouse. If its not available there, they should be able to give you guidance on what needs to be done.
    motherinlaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

May 29, 2009, 06:38 AM

I have a mortgage loan on a home in the state of Maryland. I am contemplating adding my new husband's name to the deed but not to the mortgage. (I understand that I must get permissin from the loan company to do this.) What rights to the property would my husband have if I were to default on the loan?
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
    I can't think of any good reason to add a person's name to a mortgage (even if it could be done ) after the mortgage has been funded. Being on a mortgage does not confir rights to the property. Being on the deed confirs ownership rights. In many states, a spouse can get ownership rights without being on a deed just by have that property as their "marital" residence. Check with an attorney in your area on this.
    elderk_b Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:11 AM
    How do you add your spouse to a deed
    elderk_b Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:12 AM
    How do you add your husband to your deed
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
    Talk to an attorney. Generally there is no need to do that since a spouse generally gets a 50% interest in a property once they inhabit it as a "marital residence"... State laws vary and I'm not an attorney, soooo... talk to an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Other Spouse's reaction to sexual harassment [ 5 Answers ]

What if your spouse has been a victim of sexual harassment and retaliation for not complying with advances from a co-worker? What rights to I, as the other spouse have? Although the advances were made to my husband, and he did not physically respond to the flirtations, he verbally did, and thus...

Adding my name to a mortgage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi My sister is struggling with her mortgage alone, and as asked me if I would like to go in on the mortgage to cut down her monthly payments. I think this is a investment for me, as it is so difficult to get on the property ladder these days. How do you go about it? Does she have to re...

Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add my friend to my mortgage loan. How do I do this?

Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What will my payment be like on a 80/20 interest loan @7%?

View more questions Search