Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2009, 01:23 PM

I'm still hesitant about advising that you rekey until you are sure that you legally can. I would seek the advise of a local attorney, Landlord's association or local court to make sure you are on firm ground.
    Orange2008 Posts: 63, Reputation: 5

Feb 6, 2009, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm still hesitant about advising that you rekey until you are sure that you legally can. I would seek the advise of a local attorney, Landlord's association or local court to make sure you are on firm ground.
    Hmmmm... I'm still working on this to find out! I'll let you know, but I have the locksmith scheduled for 2p. I went by the house again and it was dark. Trash container still at the street. They simply are not there! But, I will verify that I have enough to show abandonment!

Feb 8, 2009, 01:57 AM

I did change the locks. However, the locksmith came when the tenants were there with a big truck. We didn't lock them out, but allowed them to continue to get their stuff out. I knew there was no way they would be there over a weekend without power, water or gas. We came back later that night & the house was cleaned out (except for their mess and a few remaining items I guess they left for me).

We were there all day cleaning - overall not terrible. A few minor repairs will need to be done, but no major damage. There is a smell upstairs which we cannot figure out what it is, but we thinking carpet cleaning will end that.

They left a small air hockey table & desk so I'll notify them & put them in storage until the end of the month.

Now, I'm planning on taking them to small claims. I'm putting all the charges together, but do I wait until I rent so I know the exact amount? Is there anything I need to include besides rent and cleaning (per the Appendix in our lease).

Do I also report them to the credit agencies? Before or after court? And who should I use for this?

Also, who do you recommend for future background checks?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2009, 07:22 AM

Wait until you find a new tenant. So you have all the costs. I wouldn't bother reporting them to credit agencies, but if there is a landlord association in your area, I would report it to them and they should also be able to recommend someone for background checks.

Feb 9, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Wait until you find a new tenant. so you have all the costs. I wouldn't bother reporting them to credit agencies, but if there is a landlord association in your area, I would report it to them and they should also be able to recommend someone for background checks.
    Will do! I also wonder how to access for damages. For instance, in the kitchen, there is cosmetic damage to the faucet along with finger nail polish on the tile/grout/cabinets/counter there. There is also a burn mark on the master vanity from a flat iron on white countertop.

Faucet Before: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...cet-before.jpg
    Faucet After: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...CARROLL119.jpg

You can see where they have literally "picked off" the black on the handle & finger nail polish is on that & the tile/grout behind. This is not a cheap faucet - Home Depot price is $719.10! GROHE Ladylux Plus Faucet, Stainless Steel and Black - 33759KD0 at The Home Depot

I took a picture of the damage on the counter in the master bath, but it didn't turn out well. I need to take another one. Where there is other damage like blinds, I can easily just get a replacement cost for it when I make the purchase, but how do you access damage to items like this where they still function.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 01:09 PM

What a beautiful faucet, how disrespectful.

I don't have any legal advice on the matter, just wanted to tell you what a beautiful home you are renting, although I could only see a bit of it.

Feb 9, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    What a beautiful faucet, how disrespectful.

I don't have any legal advice on the matter, just wanted to tell you what a beautiful home you are renting, although I could only see a bit of it.
    Thanks! Here's the listing... UPDATE: BERRYHILL, 2700 SF 4/2/2 w/ Study, Backs to Greenbelt
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 01:28 PM

That is beautiful. Do you rent it furnished? I would think that $775 deposit is not enough, especially after all this trouble. Protect yourself and the home.

Feb 9, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    That is beautiful. Do you rent it furnished? I would think that $775 deposit is not enough, especially after all this trouble. Protect yourself and the home.
    You may be right! I agree that the deposit is probably too low. I'll talk to my husband about it. We do not rent it furnished.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sc non-renter left items behind what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé let his cousin and his family move in (temporarly) to his second house. After 2 years, he asked them on July 3 of this year to move out within a month. They finally moved out the last week in August. Unfortunately, he went to jail and his wife is supposed to be moving the rest of their...

Landlord trying to keep deposit for items I have no control over [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord is trying to keep my security deposit for stuff that I do not believe I am responsible for. I called her the other day to find out if she had gotten the keys I sent to her and when I talked to her I had asked her when she would be giving me my deposit back and that's when she told me...

Landlord trying to keep deposit for items I have no control over [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord is trying to keep my security deposit for stuff that I do not believe I am responsible for. I called her the other day to find out if she had gotten the keys I sent to her and when I talked to her I had asked her when she would be giving me my deposit back and that's when she told me...

Items Left in Sold Car [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I recently sold a vehicle as a private sale. She left some items on he visor, sentimental items from the war that were once her grandfathers. When the buyer was notified by us that we left these in the car, he stated that they saw them in the car, took them out and now can't find them....

Landlord terminated lease 4 days after signing [ 3 Answers ]

This Question Is For The State Of Kansas. My Friend Looked At An Apartment And She And The Landlord Agreed That She Would Be Able To Rent The Apartment. She Gave The Deposit They Signed A Lease And He Gave Her The Keys But 4 Days Later Someone Called Her Back And Told Her That Other Tenants In The...

View more questions Search