Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albi187 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 02:50 PM
    External hard disc not recognised
    After recent re-install of vista I cannot access my external 160 GB hard drive as it does not show on "my computer", have gone to both computer management & device manager in control panel & they both list it there but despite trying different USB ports & re-booting etc it refuses to show in my computer, have checked driver & it shows as the latest & OK help!! Please
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 02:59 PM

Try right clicking on drive in device mgr and choose uninstall and say OK

Go up to tools and "scan for hardware changes" to see if it can be found, when found let it search for drivers and check explorer again to see if it shows up

Any chance disk came with cd

Jan 28, 2009, 03:43 PM

Seahawk,, tried all that but to no effect drvive still not shows in explorer or my computer!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 04:09 PM

Did the drive work before reinstall

Did it ever work after reinstall

Have you tried to connect this drive to another PC to see if recognized

I know it is recognized, but give add new hardware a shot

What is the make and model of the drive

Also check in device mgr under universal serial device controllers and make sure there is a listing for an enhanced controller, if nothing listed for Enhanced Bus Contoller - post make of motherboard mfg you have

Jan 29, 2009, 03:57 AM
    Seahawk thanks for reply, re: your last posting
    1 yes drive did work before re-install but not at all after
    2 have connected to my other PC ,windows XP ,same on there although it did used to work on there also
    3 have tried add new hardware but could not find it in add new hardware
    4 external drive is TrekStorDataStation maxi n.u 160 GB ( have tried their site but they do not seem to offer driver downloads)
    5 in device manager I have standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller ( which have checked for uptdate for driver & o k )
    6 as for mother board mfg I do not know where to get that info (sorry to be such a thicko! )

Thanks seahawk for taking this trouble
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 08:56 AM

2 have connected to my other PC ,windows XP ,same on there although it did used to work on there also
    If not working on other PC and did before, it would seem to be the drive itself

You can download belarc and you will find all info about your PC
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

Jan 29, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Seahawk thanks for all your trouble, seems I going to have to accept it died, just such a coincidence it happened when I changed to vista,, anyway thanks and much appreciated,, ta ! As we say in england... thanks a lot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you wipe a hard drive using an f disc? [ 4 Answers ]

What is an f disc and can you wipe a hard drive clean using one? If so how is this done?

LaCie external HD that is no longer recognised [ 2 Answers ]

I have a LaCie external HD that my computer no longer recognises. Everything was fine, then I when to access some information off the drive only to be told that the drive was not formatted. I try to restore to an early date only to be told that computer could not do it. Feeling that I had no...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a HP A1657C PC,I would like to purchase a external hard drive about 160 gig can you advice which one would be right for me. I want to back up c drive and at present only using about 30 gig but want room to expand. Thanks for reading this and any info you can offer Alan

Need a non-USB external hard drive [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to utilize an old (read: OLD) Thinkpad to play .mp3's on my home stereo. Problem is, the laptop doesn't have a USB port. Are there (ok, were there) ext h-d's that weren't USB dependent, or do I need to find a USB flash card?

Partitioning the hard disc [ 2 Answers ]

I have 40 gb hard drive.AT present I have only one partition. Iwant to make three partitions , How to do it. Please I want step by step. Thanks

View more questions Search