Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drcooper7422 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Heat Pump Defrost Cycle
    My new Payne heat pump condenser unit has frost around the coils. The defrost cycle does not seem to be coming on. Could it be a control wiring problem? And, is the defrost thermostat considered a outdoor thermostat?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 09:41 AM
    They will have frost around the coils when in operation in cold weather but the unit will go into defrost when necessary if it is operating properly.

The defrost thermostat senses when it is time to defrost. Yours has a circuit board and a sensor.

A outdoor thermostat just shuts the outside unit off when the temperature gets to low for the unit to operate efficiently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I manualy defrost my heat pump [ 3 Answers ]

I did it last year but I don't remember what I did. I remember making a jumper wire and jumping 2 terminals together with a jumper wire on the circuit board on the outside unit. Can anyone help me with this... Thanks

Bad odor whenever heat pump is in defrost mode [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Tappan 13-seer a/c-heat pump that emits a musty odor in the house for a few minutes every hour or so on colder days when the heat pump is set to heat and it is in defrost mode. I know it is in defrost because the compressor fan outside stops running, while the compressor itself...

Carrier heat pump works fine so far, won't go into defrost mode [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrie heat pump that is working fine so far. It still provide heat for my home. It just dose not go in to defrost mode to defrost the out side unit. I have read to put the unit in auxialry mode to get a few extra defrost cycles in, but when I read the flash codes it never say anything...

Heat Pump defrost cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully my question isn't redundant. Earlier this year I changed my thermostat from a manual to a programmable thermostat. The cooling and heating aspects seem to work fine but I have noticed that during the defrost cycle the aux heat doesn't appear to come on since I changed the thermostat. ...

Heat pump blower does not cycle off. [ 4 Answers ]

My problem I believe is with the blower control on a heat pump. With the thermostat in COOL or AUTO, the outdoor unit stops as expected when the temperature setpoint is reached. But the blower does not stop running. It continues to run as if it's in a manual run control. If the breaker to...

View more questions Search