Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Junaid169 Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Home Theater SUb-Woofer
    What does Selectable Subwoofer Crossover mean ?
    What is 9-band?
    Does 7.2 means TWO Sub-woofer
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Jan 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
    what does Selectable Subwoofer Crossover mean?
    In sound reproduction, where different speakers are used to handle different ranges of frequencies (pitches), filters are usually used to ensure that each speaker receives only the frequencies it can handle. Those filters are generally called 'crossover networks', so a 'selectable' crossover means the frequency at which the sound 'crosses over' from the squawker to the woofer is selectable by the user (you). This would make little difference to the average listener, but an audiophile (which you clearly are not) might value this feature.

What is 9-band?
    If you're referring to a feature like an equaliser, this is the number of frequency bands the audio spectrum (generally considered to be 20Hz - 20kHz) is divided into, with a control (boost/cut) for each band. The band centre frequencies usually form a geometric progression rather than a linear division of the whole audio spectrum.

Does 7.2 means TWO Sub-woofer
    Your assumption is correct. Be aware, though, that many makers selling equipment labelled '7.2' are merely providing a second sub-woofer output in parallel with the first (so they are still only 7.1 channels), whereas a true 7.2 system would have different signals emanating from the two sub-woofer outputs (though there wouldn't be much source material in this format - it's mostly through DSP processing to make the signal difference). Again I would think little advantage to the average listener (over 7.1), but maybe to an audiophile.

Daniel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I set up my Samsung home theater system? [ 5 Answers ]

I have the following equipment but I am not sure of the optimal connections in setting up the system. Samsung LN-S4092D LCD HDTV Samsung HD-DVD Home Theater System HT-TQ72 Explorer 8300 HD PVR Vidéotron Illico Receiver 2 HDMI cables 1 regular audio cable (white and red) The LCD TV has 2...

Home Theater [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hook up my dvd/vcr to my Dish satellite TV?

Home Theater Set-up [ 7 Answers ]

I have the following equipment but I am not sure of the optimal connections in setting up the system. Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV Toshiba DVD Recorder D-R400 Dish Network HD Receiver VIP 622 R Onkyo TXDS656 Audio Video Control Receiver The HD receiver, LCD TV and DVD recorder all have HDMI ports...

View more questions Search