Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darkgift Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2009, 08:03 PM
    How do I quit Marijuana?
    I need help quitting mull, the more I try the more I smoke. Im 40 and have a 3yr old and as much as I enjoy smoking its ruining my life. I don't know what to do.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 08:19 PM
    Simply put, but harder to do... just put it down and don't buy any more. The withdrawals are more mental than physical, so it's jut a matter of will power.
    loopy123 Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2009, 11:09 PM
    If you love your child and want to he/she grow up then just stop.
    You choose. Your habit or your child!! :(:(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 12:46 AM

Hi, Darkgift!

You might want to think about how much money you'll save and be able to put toward other things by not buying it anymore. If you know someone else who has been successful at quiting, you might want to speak with them for some support in your quitting.

Thanks!
    Darkgift Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Jan 29, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loopy123 View Post
    If you love your child and want to he/she grow up then just stop.
    You choose. Your habit or your child!!!!!!:(:(

Thank you for your reply, but if you don't have anything useful to say please do not put in an answer. I have been smoking for over 20years and it's a bit more complicated than that, my child is the main reason I'm quitting and I know its all in my mind but I was more after something to help me not freak out while Im quitting so as not to upset my child and anyone else. I love my child more than my life how dare you be so condesending as to give an answer like that, Im sure your not perfect and if you are you obvisously have a mental condition :confused:

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 05:24 PM

You are wanting some magic answer to make it easy, sorry there is no such thing.

Pot is not that hard to give up, esp compared to many of the other drugs.

So you just stop, you crave it some, maybe smoke a cig if you have to, but you just quit,

That is all there really is to it.
    Very simple, just means you have to really want to.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 30, 2009, 03:19 PM

Get rid of what you have and delete your dealers phone number from your phone. Remove yourself from people or situations that will make you want to smoke. Once a few days have gone by it won't bother you so much anymore.

Take all the time you used to spend sitting around high and find a positive activity to replace it with, like spending time with your child.

Edit: Also be glad you are not addicted to something much worse!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 07:57 PM

Just think about what reality is and how much of reality you have missed for the last 20 years. It is not an easy habit to quit, but it CAN be done. You need to just remember you are stronger than the drug. You don't need the drug to survive.

You are too afraid of freaking out because you've pascified yourself for years by smoking a joint when you felt down, uptight, sad, etc, etc. You were not in reality thinking that a joint will solve your immediate problem.

Please quit as I can tell you some pretty nice horror stories where the parent was locked up and their child ended up a ward of the state. I've always said D.A.R.E. means Drugs Are Really Expensive. This can be interpreted in many, many ways. What would happen to your child if you got arrested for possession? Not a nice thought I'm sure.

Figure out how much money you will be saving each week by not buying pot. What could you do with all that money? Move to a better place? Buy a nicer car? Buy your child some new clothes? The possibilities are endless. Even if you spend $100 a week - That's a LOT of money every year to literally burn up and keep yourself from reality. Hey, reality is where it's at. You will feel much better in less than a month and really see what this beautiful world is all about. Smell the flowers when they bloom this spring. Do something to celebrate your freedom from this drug. Do something meaningful with your child to celebrate.

Twenty years is a long, long time to be enslaved in a prison of your own making. Give yourself the gift of freedom for your child's sake. When you feel you need another joint, go hug or hold your child close to you and tell yourself it's worth every second of not being high to hold your child in your arms.

I wish you success in your endeavor.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Feb 8, 2009, 03:50 PM

Just quit.

Marijuana isn't chemically addictive like booze, heroin, or nicotine. It is perhaps the easiest drug to quit. If you're having problems... it's all in your head.

I suggest seeking counseling for whatever personal issues are bugging you. Smoking pot is the symptom, not the cause of your issues.

PLEASE do NOT smoke tobacco as a substitute. Do NOT drink as a substitute. Those are not only habit forming, but they are also chemically addictive.. unlike pot.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 04:14 PM

Just quite, but be prepared for some problems, although its not as chemically addictive as other drugs... I have a brother who smokes and he has tried to quite several times... he's kind of short tempered by nature and he got really aggressive, and had problems sleeping.

But you just need to break the cycle.

And LOL the cloughs idea: think of how much money you'll be saving, maybe you should take all that money (at least in the quitting stage and put it on a piggy-bank or in an account for your kid... or maybe buy yourself a gift once you've kicked the habit, like an award ;)
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 09:54 PM
    Marijuana IS addictive, and it IS hard to quit, and it DOES have serious withdrawal effects.

The THC affects the chemical balance in the brain. The dependence affects mood, metabolism, cognitive and behavioural judgment, and physical problems such as an increased heart rate, vision problems; and with approximately 400 other chemicals in the mix, the lungs take a beating as well.

A 20 year 'habit' is not easy to overcome. It does not indicate in any way, shape or form, a lack of character, or a person with misplaced values, morals, or intelligence.

Would we be so quick to judge an alcoholic, and suggest that he just simply 'quit'??

It has nothing to do with lack of willpower, or resolve or priorities. It is an addiction, and it is affecting every aspect of this persons life. To just quit after 20 years is, in my opinion, an impossible task without support.

I would suggest getting help through or via your family doctor for addiction counselling. Quitting is only the first step. You will have to learn how to live again without the pot, and it isn't going to be easy. To rebuild a life never is.

Common symptoms you will experience are often treated with some medical assistance, and I won't go into them here for fear of further ridicule to you. Please feel free to PM me if you want to.

I sincerely wish you well, and hope that you get some good solid information, get a plan in place, and have the support you need to reach your goals.
    loso33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 03:41 AM
    First you need to be know the reason why your smoking?
    Is it boredom, are you tense or stressed, what's the reason?
    If it's because your stressed or bored then maybe you can find away to improve your situation and then you may well find it easier to stop.
    On the other hand if the smoking is a problem on its own, then find something that you can replace it with.
    Doing exercise, after you get over the initial hard part (first few weeks), relieves tension and stress and gives you a really strong natural high that can make you feel on top of the world, so you won't need an artificial high to make you feel good.
    Maybe you will make new friends and look great to!
    Good luck
    MicroMama Posts: 27, Reputation: 7

Mar 12, 2009, 11:39 AM

How about smoking herbal stuff instead. There's this legal stuff called "Chiba" I think? It's sweet and contains nothing illegal whatsoever. Many people smoke it...

I also had a problem and smoked every day with my BF who is now my husband. We eventually grew to hate it and felt it was ruining our social life and sex life. We agreed to stop buying it but what got us through the initial mental withdrawal was keeping very busy (we started working out at the gym!). We also continued to smoke cigarettes so at least we still had that.

It's been 7 years now and I haven't touched it. Life is great. Once we quit, we realized how wonderful life was and we started enjoying things so much more. Sober life is a high all in itself.

Good luck. You can do it and you will have NO regrets!
    patjohnston Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:00 AM

I've recently given up smoking after thirty years and I have found that distraction works best for me. Change your routine, i.e.. If you normally do some pot after a meal, instead go straight out (harder to do weed in public) if its's before bed read, warm drinks hot shower etc.
    If you can find a cheap but time consuming hobby (maybe trace your family history online). Most of all take no notice of people who say just do this and just do that, find what works for you and try your best to stick to it. After all your addicted in your way, different strokes for different folks.
    Good luck Darkgift
    alabamaman Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2009, 11:40 PM

Twinkie dooter have you ever even had pot
    Because the thing you said about reality and pot taking you out of it is totally not making sense

Pot stimulates your body and mind
    But it doesn't take you out of reality
    You're still 100% there
    I've literally been more out of reality off smoking a cig

And to the original subject
    Man o man I know pot isn't addictive persay
    But damn it is pretty good and hard to stop
    I mean people take drugs all the time when they have a headache or feel depressed or have a stomach ache so its dumb to say that its out of the ordinary for someone to blaze when they are down or pissed and it is sure as hell a lot better for you then any prescription meds

But if you really want to quit dude
    You got to delete your dealios number
    Smoke the last of yer weed
    And make sure non of your friends blaze when your there its going to be hard as a motherer but even after the first month you'll slowly care less and less about it
    And so on

And also to the dude who said that he's going to get arrested for possession

You'd need a lot of weed to be sent away long enough to have your child taken away
    So he doesn't got to worry about that
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 22, 2009, 12:58 PM
    I can totally understand wanting to give up drugs for your child. Please know though that you must also do it more for YOU With you doing it for you than he too will benefit.

Your local Health department likely offers a outpatient drug counseling program where they offer on on one and group counseling. Some even offer child care but not all. The fees is sliding scale meaning depending on income it may be free.
    It is really important to toss all those old phone numbers Tell those who you used to smoke with that you are through and that you will NOT be smoking any longer and to please be a true friend and not call looking to get high or looking for help buying or any of that.
    In all honesty it is best to part ways with most all of them now until you have at least a year clean because they are a trigger.
    Also all dealers numbers toss them
    It is not easy to do but it is best.
    Spend time with your son doing things for the two of you
    Mommy and I groups, different local programs some of which may be free The local Library offers a lot of free things for moms and youngsters
    You do need counseling though because in all honesty until you deal with the things you were bottling up and pushing down inside you will keep going back to getting high when those things start to suffer.
    There are also some great online recovery forums that can support you as well. Also NA meetings.
    Basically changing your life totally is what needs to be done
    Start with one day and just be Thankful at the end of it that you made it through and eventually you will have a week then a month than year etc etc It really does get easier.
    I have 13 clean. I got pregnant with my youngest and decided that is it I have to change.
    It took me a couple years after he was born with relapses but I finally got it right and I am Thankful for that.
    If you need a friend or someone to chat with I am here and always happy to help
    Hilerz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 08:13 AM
    I no myself its hard I've been smoking it for only a couple of years I can give it up but always find myself going back to it with me I find its who I hang around with and situations I'm in but as your older I'm sure that's not really the problem. Try and stay positive find a hobby or something that takes your mind of it for as ong as possible during a day. My friend is quitting at the mo and he finds it helps being busy as much as he can and try not to get stressed out that's when he turns to it or that feeling of needing it comes. It isn't as easy as just quitting just like that like smokin fags everyone is different some people can just quit others can't hope it goes well x
    Eelarch Posts: 116, Reputation: 3

Mar 23, 2009, 11:56 AM

Chuck everything to do with weed out your house, like weed, skins bongs ,pipes grinders ,etc etc

Then if you have a sudden craving it won't be possible to do it, I'm not sure if this is too ahrd an approach but it worked for my friend.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    How do I quit Marijuana?
    Hello D:

By not smoking it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marijuana in California [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding California marijuana laws. I know that for under 28 grams of possession of marijuana in the state of California, you can't get arrested and there is just a fine. I was wondering, does anyone know about enhancment laws for repeated arrests of possession of marijuana. ...

Marijuana and me [ 7 Answers ]

So I've been smoking for about 5 years and its taken me a while while but I've realized that its something I'm really not interested in continuing. I'm in my second year of college so it crops up quite a bit. Its gotten to the point where I'm considering cutting out all my friends that do smoke. I...

Marijuana smoke [ 7 Answers ]

My son was with people in a car and they were smoking marijuana. A blunt it was called. He had to take a drug test and was fine with it because he was told it was not in his system because he did not smoke it. He then was told later that it could come out positive. What is the right answer.

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

View more questions Search