Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ghentie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 07:29 PM
    External hard drive
    I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I am attempting to connect an external hard drive to one of 4 usb ports on my desktop. I have tried connecting it with my computer on and off and I have rearranged the plugs many times. Each time I plug in the external hard drive my keyboard and my mouse no longer function. I can't do anything to see if it even reads the drive or open any folders. My computer is on its last legs and I am trying to back up everything I have and I can't seem to get it to read my external hard drive without shutting down my other USB ports. My cd drive broke today so this is all I have left to try. Unless you have other ideas. Please help.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 07:52 PM

Is it an older computer

Check this,

Start, settings, control panel, system, hardware tab, device mgr

-now go down to Universal Serial Bus devices and click + sign
    Is anything listed there as Standard Enhanced USB Contollers
    Or just standard controllers with nothing saying Enhanced

Jan 27, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Listed I have (2) root usb hub
    (2) intel universal host controllers
    (1) generic usb

Nothing saying enhanced
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 08:37 PM

Ok, this would indicate you do not have USB 2.0 drivers yet the drive you are trying to use needs 2.0 drivers

Downloading VIA USB 2.0 Driver 2.7 to improve network security

Download should start, if not for down till you see, try clicking here to download.

Disconnect your ext. drive

Download and install then check device mgr again to see if Enhanced Controller is there

If not, restart machine and hook up drive to see what happens

Post back, hope this is it

If this does not help, post Your Motherboard Mfg if you know

Jan 27, 2009, 09:25 PM
    That link downloaded files, but they didn't do anything the files were to go with a disk.. Of course I don't have that disk.

I do not know the manufacturer of my mother board.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 09:46 PM

Download HWiNFO - you can use this for 14 days for free

Download and run and you will be able to find out the mfg and model of your motherboard so that will be able to search for USB 2.0 drivers for your computer
    HWiNFO Download
    NoDaddy dot com Posts: 101, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2009, 02:53 AM

Also check the POWER draw

Winkey+pause

Hardware

Device manager

Expand: univ serial bus

Iterate through root hub, power tab
    nightwatchman Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2009, 06:40 PM

Hi in my opinion the best route of action is when you purchase your new desktop computer also purchase an external hard drive casing then when you have set up the new computer take the old hard drive from the old desktop and run it in the external casing through the new computer, you can then get all your info from the old computer save it and use the old hard drive as storage.I did this for a friend of mine he thought hed lost all his pictures but now he has them and I have a nice external hard drive for storage. Hope this is of help
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 12:38 AM

First you need to check your USB prots, and update your USB ports driver. Suppose your USB is working fine it means all the ports should work, if not then check your device another usb ports device.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys I need your help I recently bought a 320 GB External hard drive, I plugged it into my computer and check the capacity of the hard drive it is telling me that the hard drive capacity is 298 GB, where is the other 22 GB gone? Looking forward for your reply

Lost a external hard drive. [ 7 Answers ]

Hard drive fell and now isn't working. The drive isn't spinning. I took the IDE out of the case and hooked it up to a hard drive to USB cable adapter but nothing. In device manager it comes up as unknown and I go to add new hardware it says that driver is missing? How can this be. Is there...

External hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

I needed to back up some files right away and my friend used her portable hard drive to do it for me. Can I transfer them safely from her portable hard drive onto one I buy and if I can do that will that delete them from her hard drive unit?

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi good day I try to connect my external hard drive but its not work nothing comes up I think it's the jumper starter could you tel me how to connect it so it works please thanks

External hard drive SHOWS WHERE? [ 2 Answers ]

External hard drive plug-in through usb port - shows in Device Manager as working fine But where is it? Must a drive letter be assigned? Running Vista Home (or is Vista running me?)

View more questions Search