Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 27, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Building a fence to hide my neighbors' fences
    In my backyard I have a patchwork of 4 different colored fences, facing in different directions, that belong to my neighbors. They're great people, but combined, their fences look like crap. I want to build by own privacy fence around the entire perimeter of my backyard about a foot away from the other fences. I think I'm going to install a wood fence and paint it white, but I haven't completely ruled out a vinal fence. I know how to do the install, but I'd like to know what problems I may run into with 2 fences so close together.

Thanks... Logan
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 10:26 PM

Hi Logan you're a busy man.

In my neck of the woods being a foot back from the property is your land by My code here and you can out the fence there no matter what. The vinyl fence seems to hold up well so far and it should it cost a bundle.
    I don't know how the neighbors feel but maybe you can make some kind of deal to offset your cost. Second make sure all fence is painted before you put up. Hard to paint when its so close to the other fence.
    maybe the deal is if they rip down the old ugly fence you will suck up the cost for the new. This way It didn't cost the neighbor anything and just his time and he gets to look at the back of the new fence you put up. So it improves both sides. That would be in the long run good. I think the way things are tight usually neighbors bulk at money out of pocket but not there time if it improves their value of the property if the are smart and nice.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Jan 28, 2009, 07:38 AM

Yeah 21boat, I have been pretty busy. I have a baby on the way this summer and I have to do as much as I can afford before hand.

Feb 20, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Okay, so I never got to work on the fence last summer, life got in the way. Here is a picture of my backyard. You can easily see the need for a new fence. I'm not sure if my neighbors are willing to take down theirs, especially since two of them just repainted theirs.

Along with the picture of my backyard, I've attached a few pictures of other privacy fences. I'm going to go with pressure treated lumber, due to the insane cost of vinyl, and I will stain it a cedar looking color.

If my neighbors don't pull down their fences I'm probably going to go with the dogear style and have the nice side facing my property so it's easier to paint. However, I do like the other two styles, especially since it will look nice on both sides.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images

spleenless9 Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2010, 08:25 PM

From the picture of the back yard, I can see why you want to do something here. I like the idea of the fence you have in the middle picture, it will hide the neighbor's fences but allow good air circulation. With the fences so close together, wood rot could be a problem and anything to improve circulation could help.

Also, you might want to check where your property lines are, to make sure that your fence will be on your property if they are that close.

Good luck,
    Pete
    heatherg10 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Here are more pictures of the last privacy fence.
    heatherg10 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 07:50 AM
    Here are more pictures of that last privacy fence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

Building block fence [ 1 Answers ]

How to make block fencing

How do I hide caller id on my route ?means I need to know how do I hide CLI? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hide caller id on my route? means I need to know how do I hide CLI? :);)how do I hide caller id use any tool on my swich.

Thinking of building a fence? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am thinking of putting up a fence. Just an aluminum one (grills) in the front yard. App. 4-5 feet. Does anyone know any less labor requiring techniques? Or maybe a website where I can visit to get instructions? Thanks

View more questions Search