Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Aluminim gutter toppers and icilciles forming
    Hi! Can someone please please please tell me if the mesh leaf protectors above my gutters are responsible for the icicles that are forming? Last year, I didn't have any icicles, or if I did, they were few and far between. We put on a new roof this summer. It is vented propoerly. Could these gutter toppers be causing the problem? Will I get ice dams?? Someone please answer soon.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jan 27, 2009, 05:30 PM

Yes, the leaf screen could be causing icicles. When did you last clean it?

Icicles are just caused by drips. Perhaps leaves have clogged some part of the leaf screen, so water is running over it and dripping down the outside of the eavestrough.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 27, 2009, 06:35 PM

Depending on the pitch of your roof, the screens can be causing more problems than they're worth. To be sure, take the screens off in one section ans see if the icicles keep forming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gutter toppers [ 8 Answers ]

Do gutter toppers really help with the problem of ice build up in the gutters during winter months. This happens even if the gutters have been cleaned. Are they worth the money? I do not have trees in my yard, the neighbors do, so in strong winds I get some debris. I have the gutters cleaned...

Household Aluminim Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

To all, My niece's home was wired with aluminum wiring. I've noticed that lights are dimming or cutting off and other bizarre happenings on electronic devices. I fully suspect that the aluminum wiring is the culprit. I'm pretty sure it has never been checked for loose connections. ...

Gutter size [ 1 Answers ]

Is a 3" gutter large enough?

Gutter toppers [ 1 Answers ]

Do gutter toppers really help with the problem of ice build up in the gutters during winter months. This happens even if the gutters have been cleaned. Are they worth the money?

Gutter System [ 2 Answers ]

I'm shopping for new gutters for my home and just want to know the difference between seamless gutters and seamless aluminum gutters.

View more questions Search