Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 10:34 AM
    What can I claim on rental property
    My wife and I just recently purchased a house that we some day plan to rent out. The house needs some fixing up and CLEANING up from the previous owners. The yard and house both was full of junk. Can I claim my and my wife's time for clean up efforts on my taxes? What all else can I claim when it comes time to start remodeling and later renting it out?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 10:56 AM

No, you cannot claim your time. Only actual expenses, which includes any materials and the mileage.

As for what else you can claim, in short: any and all expenses that were incurred that are directly related to the property:

Utilities, materials, contract labor, mileage, phone use, etc.

Check out IRS Schedule E for a list of stuff and how they categorize it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Actually, the expenses and rental income are reported on Schedule E, NOT C.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 05:12 AM

Wooooops, of course! My fingers were working overtime.

Indeed, it's the Schedule E, not C. I corrected my post above.

See attached below.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf f1040se.pdf (250.3 KB, 164 views)
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 06:23 AM

You can not claim any expenses including remodeling expenses till the house is ready for renting. The are all capital expenses; they will increase your cost basis.
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 07:35 AM

"ready for renting" in my experience, is a debatable topic.

I can consider an apartment ready for renting even if it needs a lot of work...

Nothing is an exact science on this issue...

As far as I'm concerned and I've been advised locally (and I will welcome and encourage comments or disagreement from our Tax Experts); if I own it and there's a roof and there is running water and heat, then it's "rentable".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2009, 07:58 AM

I expect our tax experts will correct me if I'm wrong here, but what you should do is setup a company (Inc or LLC) to purchase the house. You can then bill the corporation for any expenses (including your time) in repairing or maintaining the property.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Billing a closely-held corporation or LLC for your time if YOU are the owner is related-party activity will draw the attention of the IRS.

Such related-party transactions draw such IRS attention because they are subject to massive abuse by the owners.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2009, 03:48 PM

Ooopps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Claim Deduction for Rental Property Costs While It's Under Construction [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a property in May of 2006, it took 18 months to fix it up and it was not "placed in service" rented until January of 2008. It is my understanding that I can not claim depreciation for the 18 months where it was unavailable for rent. I believe I can add the cost of the improvements...

Loss of rent can you claim it as an expense of the rental [ 2 Answers ]

If you own two homes One is your primary the other you rented. 07 was the first year as a rental While trying to find a rentor the house was empty for some time and it has taken 5 months to rent can you claim loss of rent as a cost for those five months?

Property rental [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering renting some space in my building to a hairdresser. She has her own equipment. My question is this, who is suppose to pay to the installation of her equipment and making the space 'beauty shop friendly'? We have worked out an amount for monthly rent. Also is there a simple...

Rental Property [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California. I rented a home to a tenant, with a one year lease. Now, I don't think I'll be able to continue to pay the mortgage, even with the rental income. What happens if I'm unable to pay the mortgage and the house goes into foreclosure? Specifically, what happens to the tenant? ...

View more questions Search