Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Where are the" Global Warming" alarmists?
    Well, today is the third snow fall of the winter in an area that generally never sees snow. So where are all these global warming alarmists now?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 09:49 AM

Just tune into CNN, MSNBC or PBS. You'll find the alarmists alive and well within a day of watching any of them :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Hello 450:

I know you think global warming means that it's not going to get real cold again... It doesn't mean that at all.

It's kind of like saying that man couldn't have come from apes because there's still apes. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of science. I think you fundamentally misunderstand science.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 10:05 AM

Of course you do excon, because we are on opposite ends of the pole.
    There are literally hundreds of people making hugh sums of money promoting this nonsense and I am wondering why they are so quiet now, when we are in a real cold snap all across the country. I have to believe that all their stories are not true. And what makes you think I don't know anything about science? Have you read my bio?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

Personally I believe in "global warming"... but I have yet to see good evidence that humans are causing it to be more than the trends that our planet has gone through for millions of years.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 29, 2009, 12:23 PM

They have changed gears to cover their rears. Now they are saying "climate catastrophy" that way, they can blame ANY difficult weather on man's mis-use (according to them, of course) of the earth's resources.
    Gore, et al, want to dictate to us what kind of car to drive, where to set our thermostat, etc, but THEY will not change their own behavior in the least.
    We should reject their hype as nothing more than a desire to be dictators.
    RLC1686 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2009, 12:35 PM

I don't understand how people can act so ignorant to global warming. I am not some liberal/tree hugger but it seems stupid when scienctists have been saying it for decades/ Just because we have had some cold weather and a lot of snow this winter doesn't mean anything. Global Warming doesn't only mean the temperature is rising. It is the cause for many patterns of EXTREME weather, whatever it may be. Global Warming refers to a climate change which is long-term not weather day-to-day. Since the early 1900's global temperature has increased from under -2 to 6. (C) People need to start looking at the patterns, the facts and the dangers to come instead of worrying about production, power and money.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 12:50 PM

I live in Syracuse NY ,one of the snowiest places in the U.S. so I have been following this issue with great fervor.I will cite two articles that will explain the correlation better than I could.I hope you find it useful.

Rising temperatures in the world's atmosphere and oceans will lead to more intense storms as the century progresses, according to a new report from the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Evaporation increases when the surface temperature of the ocean rises and warmer air can hold more moisture. When this soggier-than-normal air moves over land, it results in storms wetter and more intense than those experienced in the past.

The greatest changes will occur over land in the tropics, according to the study, which was released Thursday. Heavier rain or snow, however, will also fall in northwestern and northeastern North America, northern Europe, northern and eastern Asia, southwestern Australia, and parts of South America during the current century. Source cnet 2005.

ScienceDaily (Nov. 6, 2003) — Global warming has had a surprising impact on the Great Lakes region of the U.S. – more snow. A comparative study of snowfall records in and outside of the Great Lakes region indicated a significant increase in snowfall in the Great Lakes region since the 1930s but no such increase in non-Great Lakes areas.
    See also:
    Earth & Climate

A team of researchers, led by Colgate Associate Professor of Geography Adam Burnett, published the study, “Increasing Great Lake-Effect Snowfall during the Twentieth Century: A Regional Response to Global Warming?” in the November issue of the Journal of Climate.

Syracuse, NY, ( where I happen to live)one of the snowiest cities in the U.S. experienced four of its largest snowfalls on record in the 1990s – the warmest decade in the 20th century, as a result of global warming.

Recent increases in the water temperature of the Great Lakes are consistent with global warming,” said Burnett. “Such increases widen the gap between water temperature and air temperature – the ideal condition for snowfall.”

The research team compared snowfall records from fifteen weather stations within the Great Lakes region with ten stations at sites outside of the region. Records dating back to 1931 were available for eight of the lake-effect and six of the non-lake-effect areas. Records for the rest of the sample date back to 1950.

“We found a statistically significant increase in snowfall in the lake-effect region since 1931, but no such increase in the non-lake-effect area during the same period,” said Burnett. “This leads us to believe that recent increases in lake-effect snowfall are not the result of changes in regional weather disturbances.”
    Adapted from materials provided by Colgate University.
    dashxii Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Well, today is the third snow fall of the winter in an area that generally never sees snow. So where are all these global warming alarmists now?
    Its been in the 80's in san diego the last week

Feb 4, 2009, 01:41 PM

I wonder why...
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 4, 2009, 02:13 PM

Some questions to be definitively answered

1] what is the contribution of CO2 to warming, if any? Is water vapor more important? Is sunspot activity more important? Is methane more important?

2] IF, and that is a big IF, co2 is that important, what are we humans to do? We take in oxygen and exhale co2.
    -Grow more trees and vegetation?
    - Stop breathing?

3] Who knows what the ideal temperature is?
    Perhaps warmer is better, for agriculture, for the poorer regions of the globe? Who wants to rough it at 60 degrees vs 70? Who wants a return to the ice age?

4] Ultimately why do the politicians WANT TO TAX ENERGY USAGE - think about that one a bit. This is a SCAM - how can one person or group have the power to regulate and or tax energy usage, when they themselves do not make the energy [ the mining, nuclear, electrical, hydroelctric etc.. Companies do ]?

G&P
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 05:57 PM

Ever notice that global warming alarmists never have any scientific facts
    But they do go ballistic when you tell them it is a lie?
    NASA and 6,000 reputable scientists say global warming is a hoax.

Notice that Gore and the ones who preach global warming do not practice what they preach? They use more carbon footprints than 6 large families combined. I might start believing about global warming when they quit wasting all the jet fuel that they use while they tell us to ride a bike.

Global warming is nothing but a way to eventually tax us for the air we breath.

Feb 5, 2009, 09:14 AM

Think of the poor polar bears who die trying to bring back food to their families but then just drown because there are no glaciers to rest on. :(
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 01:34 PM

Where are your facts artlady??
    The fact is that most scientists around the world say it is a hoax and so many lies. Algore, the one who bought a nobel prize lives in a monster of a house and has a monthly gas bill higher than mine for an entire year. His electric use alone is enough to supply about 5 average sized houses. Where is his conservation? Answer there is none, because him and his sort want you the poor unsuspecting fools to conserve so he can jet around the world getting fat pay checks to spew his lies.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 9, 2009, 03:48 PM

Off thread, but Ex, thanks for the greenie. Remember though, I have actually AGREED with you at least 2 times.
    John
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Hello John:

Twice?? OMG.

Ex
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 04:21 PM

Don't believe it... It's just BIG BROTHER TALKING
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 9, 2009, 04:40 PM

60 degree weather this past weekend on to the 11th... in February!

I kind of like this global warming thing.

I'm sure my fellow Kentuckians appreciate the melting of ICE that has caused us a lot of problems.

G&P
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

I worked outside in the trades all of my life. I grew up by a creek that used to always freeze along with the farmers pond back in th 60s and 70s

My income is greatly effected by the 32 degree to lay block and pour concrete.

Its getting warmer. Don't know how old anyone here is but I remember Iodine to help get a quicker suntan. Not to mention the fold out sun reflectors to hold like reading a book while sitting in a lounge chair trying to get a tan. Now it would FRY your face off.
    Has the sun changed without a boubt. Ask mom and pop or grandparents or an old sea fisherman.

I or my coworkers almost never got sunburn laying block in the late spring and summer. Now we all burn real quick

Just ask yourself how often does the creeks and ponds freeze to skate on and how long where they froze. The last time The creek froze good enough skate was 1991. Even this cold snap the last three weeks wasn't that good. The pond and creek needs the ground to be chilled long enough to get ready for the freezing of long term ice.

I have more non freezing work days to lay block over all in the last ten years then the 10 before it.

Last week we had two 60 degree days.Tomorrow it will hit 60 degrees here in FEB. 3 weeks ago it was 10 degrees

I only remember 2 days out of 18 years where it was one fluke day warm enough to be out without a winter coat

I don't need a scientist to say yea or Nay. My whole life in work and play has been outside.

We Have global warming here in my town. So I guess the 3,000 year old glacier that cracked into two pieces was just a fluke. Iceland can grow cabbage all year long now

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic ice shelf splits

Slowly But Surely, Iceland Is Losing Its Ice / Global warming is prime suspect in meltdown

You say a picture worth a thousand words. By the way the oh the earth is always changing but that's in thousands or millions of years not 20 or 10 years, Duh!

glaciers melting - Google Image Search

Again use some common sense the Eskimo villages need to move a town because of too much perma frost melted in a couple years
    It like a very educated friend of mine said the if the polar ice melts the ocean won't rise because ice cubes in a glass melts and basically stays the same. What about the ice on land running into oceans.

I personally think its to late now. Too much unfrozen ice in the caps now dark water gaining heat. The Eskimos now its global change. The swiss Alps people know it dramatic change. Iceland knows it etc etc. So what's the problem 6,000 scientist that are so not wanting to ruin their careers or politically motivates by Gov grants for funding id most all countries and those govs don't want global panic.

If anyone is dumb enough to think that cleaner cars or solar power is going to stop global warming isn't thinking globally. The U.S. could completely shut down and 0 pollution and how long will that help.

Now plug in China a New Coal plant every WEEK! India's 1.1 billion people and buying 3,000 cars. Do the math hear. List of countries by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last but not least we have a lab in the Arctic that drills into the stable ice core and it records the global winters for thousands of years till now. That alone shows we in deep #####.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:33 PM

I still want to know how selling carbon foot prints is going to 'save' the next generation! Like if you have extra carbon foot prints and Gore. Politicians and corporations buy all ours up so that he can use them because they ran out how is that 'saving the earth'??
    Until they start conserving and talking about 'saving' the carbon foot prints for future generations I am not buying the we cause global warming stuff.
    We are suppose to cut back while they live it up and be wasteful.
    I see the people that cry out for us to 'save the earth'. One group is making my work quit using Styrofoam to go trays for their food. So now we will be using more electricity, hot water and soap washing all the dishes. I just met this guy that I am going to be doing work for driving him to Home Depot and Lowe's for his job because he got rid of all his vehicles 'for the sake of the climate'. So now he needs someone to drive to his house and pick him up and then drop him off. So it seems to me that the mileage is upped instead of lowered.
    I hear so many stories of earth do gooders that try and fix the ecology only to cause it to create a bigger problem in another way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

A small price to stop "global warming " [ 7 Answers ]

Nations urged to spend $45 trillion to battle carbon emissions - International Herald Tribune According to the International Energy Agency it will take at least $45 trillion ;build 1,400 nuclear power plants worldwide ,and vastly expand wind power in order to halve greenhouse gas emissions by...

View more questions Search