Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khanmurtuza Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 06:27 AM
    H1B non resident tax filing
    I am on H1B and due to visa stamping issue I was working from INDIA for all 2008, how should I file for tax and is there any tax benefits for working from India like there is for working from home in US.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 10:15 AM

If you have not been to the U.S. then you are just like a foreign person and you do not file the U.S. tax return or pay U.S. taxes.

Jan 27, 2009, 10:22 AM

To be more clear I was working from home(in INDIA) for my employer in US and was getting paid in US so I think I have to pay taxes as it was deducted from my paychecks, now is there any benefits I get similar to work from home benefits or any other.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 AM

Why was your employer paying you in the U.S. Please provide complete information.
    Just because you have visa and you are still in India, things don't change. The income of a foreign person working in a foreign country, even paid by U.S. employer ,is not taxable in the U.S.

Jan 27, 2009, 11:43 AM

Ok I am on H1b from oct 2007, and due to issues with my visa stamping since dec 2007 I am not able to travel back to US and my employer over their had allowed me to work remotely, so I am here in India working for my old employer and getting paid as well as my taxes are deducted. This issue of visa stamping is still pending and to be noted my H1 visa is still valid and now I want to file my tax return. Hope this clears your question.

Jan 28, 2009, 09:53 AM

Any help here...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Khanmurtuza:

Much depends on whether you ever return to the U.S. I had a client who had a similar problem when he returned to Pakistan. He was delayed so long that his H-1B visa expired!

I successfully argued to the IRS that, due to his involuntary restriction to remain in Pakistan, his H-1B status terminated the date he departed the U.S. and therefore was NOT liable for either income taxes or FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes for the years in question. He was rather happy about the large refunds he got as a result.

BOTTOM LINE: You need to hold off on filing.

If your stamping issue is resolved and you return to the U.S. then you are liable for U.S. income and FICA taxes as if you never left.

If, however, the stamping issue does NOT resolve itself and you must stay in India, then your tax situation is identical to my Pakistani client: you are NOT liable for either income taxes (by the IRS OR the state in which you are assessed taxes) or the FICA taxes.

However, you probably ARE liable for Indian taxes on the U.S.-sourced income, because, after all, you ARE working in India.
    Miss Emkay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by khanmurtuza View Post
    Ok I am on H1b from oct 2007, and due to issues with my visa stamping since dec 2007 i am not able to travel back to US and my employer over their had allowed me to work remotely, so I am here in India working for my old employer and getting paid as well as my taxes are deducted. This issue of visa stamping is still pending and to be noted my H1 visa is still valid and now I want to file my tax return. hope this clears your question.

Isn't your case explained by example of "Christina Brooks" in IRS publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens? It appears you don't owe taxes to IRS on the income you made working for a US employer. Do you agree? Any experts opinion on this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 11:13 AM
    I will modify my guidance somewhat: No taxes are owed on income earned while in a foreign country, even though the income source is the U.S.

It turns out that my earlier assumption about his visa status is NOT valid. His visa status is irrelevent; what matters is his physical location, so he owes ZERO income taxes to the U.S.

He probably DOES owe income taxes to India, though.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 05:28 AM

I agree that his visa status is irrelevant. I disagree that he has U.S. source income. For services, income is sourced to where the services are provided. Since the services were provided outside the U.S. the income is foreign source income. He does not owe U.S. tax because he is a nonresident alien and because the income is not U.S. source income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

Foreign income+ non-resident -> resident filing [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Indian National and I have been in US on F1 since Aug 2001. My F1 expired on June 2006 and I was on OPT till my H1 began in Oct 2006. I had filed 1040NR for the past five years but read that after 5 years, I should start filing as a resident. I also read a contradictory statement...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search