Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juhi2011 Posts: 91, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2009, 11:18 PM
    Core 2 Duo T5250
    What is "T5250" in Core 2 Duo T5250?

What is the minimum requirement in 'core 2 duo' while purchasing a laptop?

Is Intel Dual Core different from 'core 2 duo' ?
    JJCH Posts: 122, Reputation: 7

Jan 27, 2009, 12:08 AM

For intel processors, the "T" means the processor is highly energy efficient for mobile computers (laptops) between 30-39 watts power consumption. As far as the minimum requirement, Id say it's a matter of preference, but I wouldn't go lower than a T6400 (2.0GHZ). The T6400 is a newer lower voltage processor that is better for battery life and give approximately 5-7% more performance the T2500 2.0GHZ processor. There is a difference between dual core and core 2 duo processor, the difference being: A dual core processor has just that, two processing cores and around 1mb cache, the core 2 duo also has two cores but has a larger memory cache and bus lines allowing for faster symetric multi processing. Basically in today's terms and technology, the dual core would be considered a "budget processor" and the core 2 duo is pretty much the standard (although there are quad core processors out there now as well, primarily in desktops from what I have saw). I have a core 2 duo on my HP DV7T laptop and it's a power house for what it is. Here is a chart detailing intel processor letters and their meaning, for future reference, taken from intels site:

Processor Class Description
    QX Desktop or mobile quad-core extreme performance processors
    X Desktop or mobile dual-core extreme performance processors
    Q Desktop quad-core high performance processors
    E Desktop energy efficient dual-core processors with TDP ≥ 55W
    T Mobile highly energy efficient processors with TDP 30-39W
    L Mobile highly energy efficient with TDP 12-19W
    U Mobile ultra high energy efficient with TDP ≤ 11.9W
    S Mobile small form-factor with 22x22 BGA package
    N Network platform

Jan 27, 2009, 12:23 AM
    "COLOR="Red"]For intel processors, the "T" means the processor is highly energy efficient for mobile computers (laptops) between 30-39 watts power consumption. "Then what does 'L", "U' and "E' means and which is the best? "As far as the minimum requirement, Id say its a matter of preference, but I wouldn't go lower than a T6400 (2.0GHZ). The T6400 is a newer lower voltage processor that is better for battery life and give approximately 5-7% more performance the the T2500 2.0GHZ processor. "Then we can say intel dual core0 is not at all good? " Basically in todays terms and technology, the dual core would be considered a "budget processor" " what does budget processor means ?
    Can u recomment how is inspiron 1410 ; config being: Intel dual core T2390
    HDD 160 gb and RAM 1 gb.

Also, I want to know the minimum req for cache memory, clock speed and system bus speed for a laptop.

Jan 27, 2009, 12:41 AM

Look at the chart I posted above to get your answer to what the other processor letters mean. The mobile processor letters basically have to due with energy consumed. For "desktop replacement" and other general to high performance laptops you will find the "T" processor. For ultra lite laptops, netbooks and lower end laptops you will typically find L and U class processors. As far as dual core, it is a perfectly good processor... was once top of the line, but now we have core 2 duo processors for laptops that are considered top of the line. As far as I know, quad core processors are only in desktop machines. Budget processor is a slang term for "base processor". For example, if you custom build a laptop on HP's website, the dual core is the lowest end processor you can choose, all other choices are core 2 duo. The inspiron 1410 is a good general use laptop for internet access, word processing, watching DVD's, listening to music and playing basic games at medium to low resolution. If that is all you do, the 1410 is a fine machine. If you are going to do intense graphics editing, AUTO CAD, intense video editing or playing the latest and greatest games then you might want to look for a more powerful machine. I would say the 1410 is a great machine for 90% of general computer users. You should do comparisons between brands such as dell, hp, acer, etc. You may be able to find a better laptop at the same price. Here are the base line specs for the inspiron 1410:

Dell Inspiron 1410
    - Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2390 Processor (1.86GHz)
    - 1 GB DDR2 Ram (can be upgraded)
    - 120GB SATA Hard Drive
    - 14.1" WXGA Anti-Glare Screen
    - DVD Super Multi Dual Layer Drive
    - Dell 802.11b/g (wireless)
    - Integrated Bluetooth
    - Intel GMA X3100 Graphics
    - 5-in-1 Card Reader

Jan 27, 2009, 02:00 AM
    "The inspiron 1410 is a good general use laptop for internet access, word processing, watching DVD's, listening to music and playing basic games at medium to low resolution. If that is all you do, the 1410 is a fine machine. "

What will be the performance if I want to insatall tools as trial version for load runner or QTP on it. Rest of th efunctionalities are exactly same as u listed that is "internet access, word processing, watching DVD's, listening to music and playing basic games"

Jan 27, 2009, 02:28 AM

System requirements for load runner are at least 1ghz processor, at least 128mb ram per core, free hard drive space = 500mb, swap file space = 2x the available ram.

It should run load runner just fine...

Quick test pro (QTP) is slightly more taxing, it needs Pentium 4 or higher processor, 512 ram, 800mb free hard drive space, 2x swap file space...

Again, it should run just fine...

Keep in mind, this is a home user class laptop, not a business class laptop... but these programs should still run just fine.

Jan 27, 2009, 02:38 AM
    It should run load runner just fine..... what do you mean by just fine... is it good or bad or OK. For convinience can you rate it on a scale of 5

Keep in mind, this is a home user class laptop, not a business class laptop... definitely the laptop I want to buy is for my personal use and as I said only trial versions will installed on the system for learning purpose, with no business perspective in mind

Jan 27, 2009, 03:53 AM
    Still if anyone has got any new or differemnt views they can still make a post

Jan 27, 2009, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCH View Post
    System requirements for load runner are atleast 1ghz processor, atleast 128mb ram per core, free hard drive space = 500mb, swap file space = 2x the available ram.

It should run load runner just fine...

Quick test pro (QTP) is slightly more taxing, it needs Pentium 4 or higher processor, 512 ram, 800mb free hard drive space, 2x swap file space....

Again, it should run just fine...

Keep in mind, this is a home user class laptop, not a business class laptop... but these programs should still run just fine.
    Ok . I got it... well thanks a lot...

Jan 27, 2009, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by juhi2011 View Post
    It should run load runner just fine.....what do you mean by just fine ... is it good or bad or ok. For convinience can you rate it on a scale of 5

Keep in mind, this is a home user class laptop, not a business class laptop... definately the laptop i want to buy is for my personal use and as i said only trial versions will installed on the system for learning purpose, with no business perspective in mind
    Load runner and QTP should both run: "good" on this system.

Jan 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by juhi2011 View Post
    It should run load runner just fine.....what do you mean by just fine ... is it good or bad or ok. For convinience can you rate it on a scale of 5

Keep in mind, this is a home user class laptop, not a business class laptop... definately the laptop i want to buy is for my personal use and as i said only trial versions will installed on the system for learning purpose, with no business perspective in mind
    The reason why I mention is that most business class laptops differ from "home user" laptops in several ways. Business class laptops have matte finish on the display (to be easier to see under flourescant lighting), are generally smaller and lighter than home user laptops, and usually have a processor designed to conserve battery life while travelling. If you are looking to do the things you said (general use) and some trial versions for learning, it should do you just fine... hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2009, 08:47 AM

I'm not sure if part of your original question was answered. The Intel Dual Core is an older processor and not the same as the Core 2 Duo. Almost all AMD Athlon and Turion processors perform better than the Dual Core. However, some Core 2 Duo will perfom better than AMDs.

Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm not sure if part of your original question was answered. The Intel Dual Core is an older processor and not the same as the Core 2 Duo. Almost all AMD Athlon and Turion processors perform better than the Dual Core. However, some Core 2 Duo will perfom better than AMDs.
    I disagree with you. Personally in my experience and testing the dual core pentiums I've owned perform faster and better than similar AMD systems I've owned. But your mileage may vary. Also opinions differ whether you are an Intel guy or AMD guy. I am neither, I go with what has worked for me the best. AMD systems seem to cost less, but like anything good, you get what you pay for.

Jan 27, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCH View Post
    I disagree with you. Personally in my experience and testing the dual core pentiums I've owned perform faster and better than similar AMD systems i've owned. But your mileage may vary. Also opinions differ whether you are an Intel guy or AMD guy. I am neither, I go with what has worked for me the best. AMD systems seem to cost less, but like anything good, you get what you pay for.
    Benchmark tests I've seen from tomshardware.com and other hardware sites showed that the AMD Athlon X2s blew away the comparable dual cores in 7 out of 7 tests. Everything I have read and heard indicate the AMD X2 outperform the Intel Dual cores. Mostly because the AMD architecture has a dual channel bus, while the Intel Dual Cores has a single channel bus causing a bottleneck. When Intel released the Core 2 Duo, it finally caught up with AMD and slightly passed them.

Jan 27, 2009, 08:58 PM

I have again landed in the state of confusion. Please conclude the argument in a healthy way and arrive to certain decesion... so that I may purchase a laptop :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Can you please go through my above written post and answer the questions?

As far as I know AMD processors are used in desktop?

Jan 27, 2009, 11:29 PM

They are used in desktops and laptops.

Jan 28, 2009, 09:59 AM

AMD are used in both. AMD has both Athlon and Turion branded processors for mobile application, though the Turions are used almost exclusively for mobiule devices.

Processors are specific to either laptop or desktop applications. Processors designed for desktop use will not fit in a laptop generally. There are different power consumption and heat generation issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air not going over heater core? [ 6 Answers ]

My 96 honda civic ex 2 door 5 speed blows cold air. The heater core is hot as are the appropriate hoses, the radiator hoses are hot. Thermostat is good. The car is running normal temperature. When selected, the air comes out of the vents selected. The air is cold regardless of the temperature...

Heater core problems [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to remove a heater core from a 2001 dodge ram 1500,quod cab

Core duo or core 2 duo [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I want to ask.. I have 2 options.. to get hp 530 with 1 gega ram core duoor get hp nx7400 core 2 duo also 1 gega ram + hard sata The price is almost douple I need a laptop that can handdel autocad drawings and rendring 3dmax projects I need to know if the hp 530 is okay and I can...

Fedora Core 6 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm new to linux, but very eager to learn it. I just installed FC6 and so far I like it. Before I start bouncing from site to site learning what I can, I was curious if anyone knows of any good tutorials. Thanks!

Heater core [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and the mechanic has discovered that the heater core is clogged. The truck has 25,000 miles on it and the coolant level is in the normal range. The coolant is from the factory. What could have caused the clog?

View more questions Search