Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truthxbextold Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Drug testing
    My daughter had a drug test and it came back positive for opiates,she does't do drugs but she did eat a poppy seed bagel the morning of the test could that make a positive result?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 26, 2009, 03:19 PM

Yes
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
    It can make for a positive, but there would have had to been a whole LOT of poppy seeds. Has she taken any medication recently? Not drugs, but prescribed medication?
    mum2five Posts: 171, Reputation: 32

Jan 26, 2009, 03:24 PM

Yes eating poppy seed bagels and other foods that contain poppy seeds can cause you to show positive for opiates if you are drug tested.

Poppy seeds come from the same plant that is used to make opium (and morphine, heroin, etc.), scientific name: Papaver somniferum.

Most drug testers will ask if you have been eating poppy seeds, or taking other medications that might cause a person to show a false positive

Hope this helps x

Jan 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It can make for a positive, but there would have had to been a whole LOT of poppy seeds. Has she taken any medication recently? Not drugs, but prescribed medication?
    She takes a acid reflux medication and yes this bagel was loaded with those poppy seeds.

Jan 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by truthxbextold View Post
    she takes a acid reflux medication and yes this bagel was loaded with those poppy seeds.
    She missed a day of school and I missed work for this.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Unfortunately, the acid reflux med won't show up as an opioid. I have heard of the poppy seed theory, actually know a guy it happened to. Is there any chance she can re-take the test?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 28, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Unfortunately, the acid reflux med won't show up as an opioid. I have heard of the poppy seed theory, actually know a guy it happened to. Is there any chance she can re-take the test?
    Have you ever seen the show mythbusters? They did this one once and a few other drug tests myths. They clearly showed that poppy seeds can make you test positive for opiates. I don’t remember exactly how much it took but it was less than you would think.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    Have you ever seen the show mythbusters? They did this one once and a few other drug tests myths. They clearly showed that poppy seeds can make you test positive for opiates. I don’t remember exactly how much it took but it was less than you would think.
    Yes, I've seen it, and I know someone who it actually happened to.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    Have you ever seen the show mythbusters? They did this one once and a few other drug tests myths. They clearly showed that poppy seeds can make you test positive for opiates. I don't remember exactly how much it took but it was less than you would think.

When I worked for the Feds and we were subject to random testing at any time this actually happened to one of my coworkers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drug testing [ 7 Answers ]

Does UPS drug test for package handlers?

Drug Testing [ 1 Answers ]

I stopped drinking two beers (24oz) at 9:00 pm last night, 10/23. Will I pass my alcohol urine test today at 3:00 pm, almost 18 hours later?

Drug testing: [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to enter into a state -monitored diversion program in which I will be subject to random urine tests. I would like to know the period forwhich alcohol may be detected in urine. It used to be less than 24 hours but I've heard about a new test which may come up positive up to 4 days...

Drug testing [ 1 Answers ]

Can you pass an EtG alcohol test

View more questions Search