Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amars Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
    2 car single piece garage door
    I have a single piece garage door (~25-30 yrs old). It is fitted with automatic door opener. When ever I open it, one side of the door shakes backwards after reaching the end point ( or banging a little bit) and stays there (basically it retracts back around 2-3 inches) I am worried that this movement might loosen the hardward on the wall. Is tthere anything that can be done.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 06:46 PM

If there are rollers on the side ends of the door WD 40 the rollers and free them up in there bearings Check the roller connections to the door itself. All of this sound like a track width adjustment in clearance of the door rubbing it at the end . Or more friction one one side ( rollers) caulking the door on the track and fighting itself. Check to see if the roller wheels can still go in and out on the hole on the bracket of the door freely.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    amars Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    If there are rollers on the side ends of the door WD 40 the rollers and free them up in there bearings Check the roller connections to the door itself. All of this sound like a track width adjustment in clearance of the door rubbing it at the end . Or more friction one one side ( rollers) caulking the door on the track and fighting itself. Check to see if the roller wheels can still go in and out on the hole on the bracket of the door freely.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Hi 21 Boat - I do not have rollers on the sides. It's a "single piece tilt door" and only support it has are the piece of hardware on both sides on the frame wall. You can see the piece of hardware at this place - Holmes Garage Door E900 Hardware Set . I have tried most of the things like - adjusting the spring tension, adjusting the length of canti-lever arm, angle of canti-lever arm but nothing seems to work.. I am quite sure it is something simple but I can't figure out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to replace a service door with a garage door [ 3 Answers ]

My garage runs into my basement. I only have one single car garage door. My basement wall is a block wall. My floor joist run parallel to the wall with my garage door. What I want to do is install a second single car garage door next to my existing garage door where a service door is located. ...

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search