Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbiedolln Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Georgia Garnishment
    Hi,
    I just found out that there is a garnishment on my bank account in Georgia resulting in a zero balance :( Do you think they can take my car This debt is not related to my car which is paid for. Also do you think there is anyway I can get this garnishment off my account? I am trying to pay this debt next month, but I am asking them to reduce the amount. They sued for 3 times what was owed and were granted that. Just by word of mouth. They did not even have any document with my signature on it. The lawyer was not even sure what the actual amount owed was.
    Anyway, do you think if I opened a new bank account they will automatically be notified ? Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2006, 01:00 PM
    So you are saying a judge granted a garnishment on your account without any proof that you incurred the debt? Sorry, but I can't buy that. Did you actually show up in court? Are you claiming this debt was not incurred by you?

If you open a new account, I don't know if they will be automatically notified, but the account will be come public record and they will proably be able to catch it shortly after. If the debt wasn't satisified by seizing the other account they can seize the new one too, without having to go back to court since they already have a judgement against you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Welcome to Georgia Scott,

What happens is this man most likely owned an individule or company on a personal loan or a private purchase, they sued and as done often in small claims court they listen to both parties, without any written evidence and decide who is the most beleivable and rule for one or the other. Happens every day.

So after they got a judgement then it was no problem to get an "attachment" of the bank account, most likely freezing it. If their attorney is any good, he would keep checking the records to see if you open a new account, so I would not or they most likely will get that money also.

And no they should not be able to get the car, certain personal property is exempt from seizure in GA over non secured debts.

If you are working, I would not be surpised if you don't see a garnishment of your wages very shortly also.
    singlemomof2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 10:04 AM

I have just been served with a summons for a debt my ex incurred on a car he turned back in and I was co signer.. I was told by a lawyer to watch for a garnishment on my account for $11,000! Georgia laws state there are 2 types of garnishments, one is a levy which is a one time withdraw of all money in your account to cover the debt you owe, no matter the amount in your accout, they cannot attempt to withdraw again. The second is a full garnishment where they garnish all money deposited into your account until the account is satisfied! Our lawyer also stated they could place a lien against any property, car, judgements, tax returns etc.. With your name on it, no matter who's it its.. if your name is attatched, they have rights to it! I contacted our car loan company and fortunatley for us, they don't allow 2nd liens against their loans... good news for us because I found out they were already trying this route!

In a nut shell, if you own your home or any property, they can place a lien against it, same with a car (paid or not), checking acct (.. and yes, even if you open a new one)

*the only money or debit type card they cannont place a hold on is a child support*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment in process? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi... New , but in desperate help. I received a Garnishment letter in the mail today for a medical bill from 2003.(?) -2000.00 Here's the thing- I only work 4-6 hrs a week. I go to school full-time and my daughter and I live on financial aide (student loans) and child support. Can they really...

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering is there a limit to what can be garnished? I know that the court can order wage garnishment and bank account Garnishment/freeze, but can they touch my retirement account? My husband's separate savings account? Can they order me to sell the house that is under my husband's name?...

Coastal Vacation in Southern Georgia [ 10 Answers ]

My family (5-8 people) is looking a great location for our summer of 2006 vacation... We love the beach and would appriciate any information that would give us information about desirable places... Thank You!

Georgia state taxes-OPT-H1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I was wondering if anyone could help me with my Georgia state taxes This is my employment history Aug 2002-Dec 2004- F1 (Wisconsin) Feb 2005-October 2005- OPT (Atlanta, GA) November 2005 to present - H1 (Atlanta, GA)

Georgia State OPT tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I know how much is the OPT tax in Georgia state. My OPT ends on Feb 9,2006. My income will be around 30-35k during this year.

View more questions Search