Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Feels like period, but no blood
    I'm 47 and have always had regular periods. However, in December, I didn't have a proper period, but I did have about three weeks of spotting. It always felt like it was about to start, but didn't.

Right now (end of January) I have cramps and lower back ache, it feels like a normal period, but there's absolutely no blood.

I'm definitely not pregnant, and I haven't been under stress or done anything unusual recently.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 03:52 PM
    At your age, and I'm not far behind you (44), you are most likely beginning to experience perimenopause. This can last for 1 - 5 years before menopause actually begins.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks. I've been reading about "phantom periods" which sound just like this: feeling of period but no blood. A sign of menopause. Ugh
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Yeah, I know menopause... ughhhh. I have been in it for about a year now, no biggie for me though. The average age of the onset of menopause in the US is 51 years old. So, we are right on the cusp of the average. Bummer huh?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 12:39 PM

One plus... (had a hysterectomy last Nov.)... no periods!!
    Let me just say, I am enjoying that aspect immensely... :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 01:53 PM

Yeah, except I'm sort of expecting one at any moment. With the way I feel, I wouldn't bet on not having another one, and I've been warned that when it comes, it will be a humdinger.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 01:22 PM

For what it's worth, I've just had another period and boy was it a whopper. I was changing sponges every hour.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 01:42 PM

Having irregular cycles can be a sign of perimenopause. You may want to check with your doctor. They may or may not decide to do some blood work to check hormone levels and a pelvic exam/ultrasound to determine if there may be another cause.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 01:53 PM

Had a full physical recently. No mention of perimenopause except that I'm the age for it. Got a full poke-and-prod examination, including smear test. The worst they found was flat feet.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 01:59 PM

Ahhhh, well there you go... flat feet will do it every time... :)

It may have been just a fluke and a couple of off cycles, but if it continues, see your doctor again so that they can do a bit more investigating. Could be polyps, cysts, etc. which are more prone to happen as we get older. Sometimes they can be left and just kept an eye on, sometimes medications may be considered, and sometimes surgery will be the best option to fully determine a cause and remedy the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my period too long? Is it real blood or period blood? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm really worried. My period came a month early, I only have it once in two months. I have huge cramps and tylenol doesn't work but it usually does. The color and smell are different. The color is much lighter and clear and the smell doesn't have the usual scent, it smells more like the...

Very little blood during period [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so I started my period the other day. I had a very small amount of blood, which is strange for me on my first day. The next day, even less blood until there was no blood at all. I do have to change my tampon very often though, because of a yellow liquid. It doesn't smell like discharge. I...

Too much blood while on period? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently started my period on Monday and just last night (wednesday night) me and my boyfriend had sex. I was already going heavy. But today I was sitting on his lap and I just recently changed my tampon after taking a shower, I had it in MAYBE 2 hours or less. While I was sitting on his lap I...

No period blood [ 2 Answers ]

I had not had a period for many years, but it started 4 months ago and was fine. Now I am due to have my period and have experienced sore breasts, frequent urination, but there is very little if any blood on my towel. Why?

View more questions Search