Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TaxHelpNeeded Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Social Secuirty tax on Short term disability(STD) pay
    I was on short term disability for 1 week in 2008, for which I received STD pay from a private insurance. The premiums for this are paid by my employer and are available as a benefit to us with no personal contribution. I received a W-2 from the insurance company, where-in I see they have deducted medicare tax, but not social security and federal income tax.

My question
    1) Is the STD pay to be included as part of taxable income and do I also have to pay Social security tax on it?
    2) If I need to pay social security tax, how do I report and pay it? Will the regular 1040(1040A) suffice? Or do I need a separate form attached for it. Also is there a employer contirbution to social security taxes too? If so will I have to pay for that too in this case. i.e at what rate should I compute the Social security tax.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:15 AM

It is reported on W2, so paying FICA taxes is not your responsibility. You will only report this as income.

Jan 26, 2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks MukatA! So you're saying I simply pay federal income tax on it? Not sure why the cut medicare from it then? Just one clarification, the insurance company had asked me if I wanted federal/state tax withheld when I had filed my claim. I had said no, because at that time from what I had figured out, I didn't need to pay taxes on it. But later I read somewhere, that if the company is providing it as a benefit, and I'm not paying the premium for it, I would have to pay taxes. Since they cut medicare, I was thinking I'd have to pay social security too.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 12:27 PM
    As MukatA noted, the withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes is NOT an issue for you. If the taxes should have been withheld, the IRS will address that with the insurance company, not you.

So all you need do is report the federal income tax on your return.

Jan 27, 2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks ATL.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Glad to help!

Mar 26, 2009, 10:51 AM

Needed one more clarifiaction. The W2 I received from the insurance company has an entry in box 14 as 100%. How is that to be treated? I'm filing using Turbo-Tax, do I report it as SDI or something or just leave it as OTHER. Also should I quote the amount in box 1 here, or report it as "100%", the same as it show up on my W2 received from the insurance company. Thanks in advance.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 14, 2009, 03:04 PM
    You can ignore the Box 14 entry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file for s.s. Disability when I have private long-term disability insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?

Unpaid leave of absence considered a short term disability? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, because I had to take care of my sick family member, I took unpaid leave of absence for 7 months in 2007 from my job. Can this be considered the short term disability and deduct from the tax? Thanks!

Social Secuirty Info? [ 4 Answers ]

Do you think its wise to actually submit your social security number online when applying for a job?:confused:

Short Term Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I had neck surgery in August 2007 and will be out of work until Feb. 2008. I received five checks from the insurance company, then they called and stated they had made a mistake and I was NOT eligible for short term disability. Now they want the money back. Of course I have used the money to pay...

Social Secuirty and Medicare Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the Social Secuirty and Medicare Taxes. I came to US As a F1 student in sep. 2000. I began my OPT in July, 2005. And my H1b started at Jan. 1, 2006. Since I was a F1-Student in the whole year of 2005. Neither my university, nor my current company deducted these two types of...

View more questions Search