Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2009, 09:13 AM
    How do I get rid of homepage hijacker?
    Hi all,
    I have a Dell Optiplex secondhand with a clean sweep and new install of the OP. I use CCleaner daily and AVG. Just out the blue I have a hijacker from one of these gambling sites (suspect my son has been downloading crap sites.) It only loads on startup but I would like to keep my system clean.
    Any ideas where to look to get rid?

Cheers.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 09:35 AM
    You could try this:

Download HijackThis 2.0.2 - FileHippo.com

Then post what it comes up with.
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 10:45 AM

What problem are you having exactly? What's the computer doing?

Jan 26, 2009, 10:55 AM
    This web page only loads on start up. I just click on the homepage icon to get rid of it.
    It's only a minor irritant but I would prefer it gone.
    Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 08:38 AM

Another member recommended a while ago that I use Advanced System Care, which I just downloaded yesterday. It searches for hijack attempts; it found a lot of other stuff I thought was cleaned out. Might be worth the try!

PC Repair with Advanced SystemCare Free | System Care, Windows Care, Free Download

Jan 28, 2009, 11:01 AM

Hi, Thanks very much for that. I have downloaded that ASC that yo recommended. I have to say I was really surprised at the amount of problems it found . Really good tool and thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Browser hijacker? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've picked up a redirect/browswer hijack bug ,as yet none of my security measures have picked it up , But I can't access any web pages other than ad sites. So I'm posting my hijackthis log could somebody please have a look at it for me . I'm running xp sp3

My Yahoo homepage is not working [ 4 Answers ]

All of a sudden my homepage is taking forever to come up or not at all - is it Yahoo or me?

Homepage problem [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems in setting up my homepage evrytime I open my internet explorer it always starts at a page named about blank even if I try changing it at the tools portion I still can't change it to other sites example to Yahoo.. and one more problem since I had the problem about the homepage my...

Hijacker.Agent.a [ 8 Answers ]

I did a scan with Ewido and it found Hijacker.Agent.a which it quarantined. On doing another scan it again appeared so this time I deleted it but next time I scanned it was back. What is this and how can I get rid of it. Thanks.

Homepage [ 2 Answers ]

My home page has been hi-jacked and all efforts to retrieve it has failed, any suggestions?

View more questions Search