Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuckerhs Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Noisy turbine roof vent
    I have 2 turbine roof vents. One is very noisy when it spins, but only sometimes, depending on temperature. Not squeeling, but more of a rubbing or grinding type noise. What does it need? Lubrication? If so, is it best to approach from the attic, or on the roof?
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 08:56 PM

First approach from inside the attic and have a good drop light with you. Sounds like it is bent or out of balance and spinning like a lazy top. Start there and come back with what you see. Lubing alone will not cause or cure that rubbing sound unless it is a totally shot bearing. Then of course totally shot can't be broght back to life either with lube.
    tuckerhs Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Seems to be spinning true, but was able to approach from inside the attic and foung that with a good application of lubricant it is silent. Seems to be all it needed.
    Thanks
    beaubeau Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 11:53 AM

Have 4 turbines on the roof of my quad villa.
    My neighbor and I have been complaining of lots of noise from these things. Maintinance capped two of them in my living room area. Did not cap the two where our bedrooms join. Sometimes very noisy. They say not turbines causing noise. Thanks for any help you can give me. They did oil them but didn't help. Our community is approximately 35 years old and my guess is these are the original turbines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic vent and vent pipe leaks through roof [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: I have water leaking down through the attic vents and white PVC vent pipes. What is the best way to repair these leaks? Can repairs be made from inside the attic? Should the vents be replaced (they are plastic)? Thank you!:(

What is a roof vent? [ 5 Answers ]

My washer drain and sink drain are clogged very badly, I've read the questions and answers to this problem and I'm sorry for sounding so stupid but what is a roof vent. My house is on a slab, no basement. I see that the tall drain pipe for the washer empties into a larger roundish section with a...

Turbine roof vents [ 7 Answers ]

I have roof vents, on my metal roof which are of the turbine type. One of them leaks during heavy rain, which we have had recently. I have been on the roof, and I can't find any area around the vent which needs any sealing. Is it conceiveable that the vent itself is leaking? I have three vents...

Plumbing vent to roof [ 1 Answers ]

While trying to run a snake down the roof vent, the darn thing came completely out of the spindle and the snake fell down the vent. Now I have 14' of snake down the darn vent and can't see the free end. Is there some obvious tool I can find or rent that will allow me to fish the thing out? ...

Vent out roof question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I had a question about the vent coming out of the roof. In my kitchen, I have a cathedral ceiling framed with 2 x 12 joists. I was planning on bringing a vent from behind my sink straight up through the roof. I have a 18" overhang, and this will place the vent close to the edge of...

View more questions Search