Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandy4639 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Tenant cant pay rent
    I have been renting out rooms in my house to make ends meet until it sells . The renters knew it was for sale before they moved in . One of the renters told me she can't pay the rent this month cause she quit her job as it was to stressful . She also said if I had to evict her then do it . I am on a very tight budget and can't afford a lawyer to write a notice to quit. There isn't a lease its month to month and I could use help with writing the notice to quit myself
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Just write her a letter informing her she is deliquent in her rent and demand payment of for her to move out.

If she will not just move out, go down to the court house and file an eviction with the court. It does not have to be fancy, use any legal words, just plan and to the facts.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 5, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Sandy, you need to do two things. First you need to hand her a letter that says "You must pay the rent within the next 3, 5 or 7 days (depending on your state's law) or vacate the premises." Sign and date the letter.

The second thing you need to do is hand her a letter that says "Your tenancy is terminated as of 30 days from today". Sign and date this letter as well. Make sure you keep copies of both letters.

If she doesn't pay the rent within the 3, 5 or 7 day time then you go to court and file a lawsuit for eviction. If she pays the rent within that time, she still has to move out within the 30 day time from the second letter. If she hasn't moved out by that date then you go to court and file a lawsuit for eviction.

Regardless of whether your method of leasing is legal, there is still a landlord/tenant relationship and you have the right to file a lawsuit for eviction as long as you follow all of the proper steps. Let us know what state you're in and we may be able to tell you how many days notice (3, 5 or 7) you have to give.

Filing a lawsuit in small claims court will get you a money judgment against the tenant but will not get her evicted. And there isn't much point in getting a money judgment against her right now, since she doesn't even have the money to pay the rent. After you get her evicted you can always file a lawsuit in small claims court for all of the money she owes you. But take care of the eviction first.
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2006, 05:41 PM
    She is most likely a boarder or a lodger. Since you own the home and retain mastery over everything within it. The courts and your state laws will determine if she will be extended tenant rights. She will have to prove that she is a tenant by providing other information such as utility bills, key to her room etc. In many states their rights as tenants a very limited and all you have to do is give her reasonable notice to leave.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Sandy, your state's landlord tenant laws will confirm whether this is a typical eviction situation or not. What state are you in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Rent [ 8 Answers ]

I rented more than half of my apt. which incl the kitchen to someone and charged her $1000. A month as my apt. is rent control I pay only $1100. I also paid for the electric bill. We had agreed on the price prior to her moving in as rents in nyc start at $1500 for an efficiency. She now is suing...

We want rent-free tenant to leave [ 2 Answers ]

We are a church that offered a rent-free room to a college kid several years ago in exchange for security duties. He is now an adult with a college education but without a full-time job. There is no written contract or lease, money has never been exchanged. We've been asking him to leave for five...

Do I still have to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I have received a letter from the landlords wife saying that she will try to keep all 8 properties that he owned, I talk to her personally and she said that she is trying to make ends meet as far as paying morgat and taxes out of her pocket, section 8 is not sending payments to her, As far as I'm...

Up Goes the Rent [ 3 Answers ]

I've been an ideal tenant for seven years, and to thank me, my lanlord jacked the rent up seventy-five dollars in less than two years. Is this legal?

View more questions Search