Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 25, 2009, 08:36 PM
    What if life is really a dream?
    I was wondering, what if life was really just a dream? You are another person, but then you went to sleep, your current self was born, as the start of your dream. Then as life goes on, you dream. When it is time for you to die, you die, then the real you wakes up.

The real you then spends his/her life. What if that is "after life", you dream of all the bad things that could happens to you in your dream, and then you learn from it. When you wake up, you realize that if you don't change, your dream will comes true?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    What if life is really a dream?
    Hello again, s:

IF my parents were taller, I'd be a basketball player.

excon
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Jan 26, 2009, 06:13 PM

Core shamanism works from these two theories:

1. Everything is a dream and all dreams are real.

2. Everything is alive and everything is dreaming.

If this life is a dream, you are free to make it a lucid dream, to choose the content of your life. Looked at that way, the theory that life is a dream can lead you to being a more intentional, fulfilled person. However, someone could take it the wrong way and decide that if life is a dream, that means that everyone else is not as real as the supposed dreamer, and so he is free to treat them as selfishly as he likes since they aren't real and don't feel real pain. That would be the wrong thing to get from the view of life as dream. Even if life is a dream, it is the dream of many beings, and we have no more right to impose our dream (our understanding of reality, our religion, etc) on them than they do on us.
    Star30x Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 06:43 PM

Life is not a dream. Life is what you make it. You are right about one thing though! When we die we still exist but in spirit and there is work to do in spirit but not as you know here on earth. Nobody can comprehend what the spirit world is like apart from that it exists. It is best not to wonder about things like this life isn't real. Maybe you are not happy with this life and subconsciously you wish it was all a dream and that you will wake up and everything will be different to what you know it to be today. Focus on those issues of your life that depress you and try to turn them into positive thoughts and make them into something happy. Turn it around for yourself. I sense a real depression coming from you. I hope you take my advice. Love and strength to you. X
    lifeanswers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 12:00 AM
    I've thought about this. I've also thought about the meaning of life. I think we should live everyday as if it were our last. I am not a religious person so I don't believe in god and heaven but I do believe that after we die something happens.

What if life was a book and we are the characters? What if we are in someone else's dreams? What if the real you is in a coma and you are the dream? What if we are someone's memory's? What if this is the afterlife?

I used to think everyone was a robot but me when I was little! I thought teachers lived at school! I now wonder why are we all here? Is there a specific thing we are supposed to do? My english class have group disccussions about this and no one has an answer and no one ever will so live "life" the way you think it should be lived because there is no telling about what's real or not!
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

May 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeanswers View Post
    I've thought about this. I've also thought about the meaning of life. I think we should live everyday as if it were our last. I am not a religious person so i don't believe in god and heaven but i do believe that after we die something happens.

What if life was a book and we are the characters? what if we are in someone else's dreams? what if the real you is in a coma and you are the dream? What if we are someone's memory's? What if this is the afterlife?

I used to think everyone was a robot but me when i was little! I thought teachers lived at school! I now wonder why are we all here? Is there a specific thing we are supposed to do? My english class have group disccussions about this and no one has an answer and no one ever will so live "life" the way you think it should be lived because there is no telling about what's real or not!

Hi Lifeanswers,

Perhaps you might use this argument in your group discussion. There is a way of telling what is real and not real.

There is little possibility that reality is a dream. If such a complete deception were possible then you would not be able to make the above posting. In other words, such a position would never occur to you or anyone else. If complete deception were possible then we would never know anything about it.

The fact that we can compare reality with non-reality means there must be a reality otherwise we would not be ale to make any comparisons.

Regards

Tut
    t0mj6299 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
    The Bible says "Adam fell into a deep sleep" (Gen: 2 21). I could find no reference to him waking up, I believe we are asleep (spiritually) Our perception of reality and truth while asleep cause us to make choices that lead to our suffering. Our suffering causes us to seek God, God wakes us from our sleep, (Spiritual Awakening) correcting our perceptions "And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free". (John 8: 32)
    thomas6299 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 10:45 AM
    The Bible says "Adam fell into a deep sleep" (Gen: 2 21). I could find no reference to him waking up, I believe we are asleep (spiritually) Our perception of reality and truth while asleep cause us to make choices that lead to our suffering. Our suffering causes us to seek God, God wakes us from our sleep, (Spiritual Awakening) correcting our perceptions "And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free". (John 8: 32)
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

May 30, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas6299 View Post

Hi Thomas,

I agree with the above statement but we can also make a distinction between being physically awake and spiritually awake.

Regards

Tut
    Panda_Queen64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 10:13 AM
    If life was a dream... a mere thought... living existence, gone in what never existed... yet we do exist... if we are nothing... but... thought... then that is still something... and if thoughts are something... we must exist somewhere... so... life ain't a dream... but... you can be a person who responds regularly to your subconcious, and you could e a living God, not letting your power reveal itself to you, because your mind knows you are not in a ready state of mind to except such a truth... making everyone around.. you... your dream... but if you think hard enough... maybe... you can control your "dream"... that will be frustrating... if you cannot... but... with enough concentration... and will... maybe... if not... then.. you know.. life isn't a dream... which if you research and think on , you'll find the theory of God at your fingertips... God (defining all sense of law, logic and proof)... then you'll realise more truths about the world... and before you know it... you'll die... but... you'll die with everysingl one of your braincells used... so... keep thinkin' bro :D
    plejalefjklama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 09:21 PM
    There is only one reality--the will of God. If something was not created from the pure love of God, it is an illusion. God created one Sonship (every one of us united) as his equal with equal creative ability to extend His love further into the universe. With our free will we chose to experiment with separation from God and wound up with a split mind (ego/Holy Spirit) and individual bodies asleep in a dream world of duality (right/wrong, love/hate). God instantly forgave us but did not awaken us because it would violate our free will. It is up to us to awaken ourselves and return to reality with God by surrendering our minds to the Holy Spirit rather than allowing the ego to control us. The Holy Spirit will lead us back home by surrounding us with the lessons we need for spiritual growth. Nothing in the world we perceive is real. It is all here to teach us lessons so we wake up and return home to the only reality of God's kingdom. Something in this paragraph must have rattled your belief system so meditate on it and start the journey back home. Time is running out.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 03:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plejalefjklama View Post
    There is only one reality--the will of God. If something was not created from the pure love of God, it is an illusion. God created one Sonship (every one of us united) as his equal with equal creative ability to extend His love further into the universe. With our free will we chose to experiment with separation from God and wound up with a split mind (ego/Holy Spirit) and individual bodies asleep in a dream world of duality (right/wrong, love/hate). God instantly forgave us but did not awaken us because it would violate our free will. It is up to us to awaken ourselves and return to reality with God by surrendering our minds to the Holy Spirit rather than allowing the ego to control us. The Holy Spirit will lead us back home by surrounding us with the lessons we need for spiritual growth. Nothing in the world we perceive is real. It is all here to teach us lessons so we wake up and return home to the only reality of God's kingdom. Something in this paragraph must have rattled your belief system so meditate on it and start the journey back home. Time is running out.
    Very opinionated ,
    A couple of years late , but very opinionated . Had the OP used punctuation and paragraphs I may have been much more interested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why did I dream this horrible dream? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know whether I should've posted this under philosophy, but I couldn't find anything closer to the subject "dreams". Anyway... Last night, I had a horrible dream and I don't know why. I dreamed this tall, skinny white man was chasing me trying to kill me. My dream jumped from 3 different...

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

A dream! [ 2 Answers ]

I had a crush on this guy which I have not seen in a couple of months. At the time he was dating this girl back and forth for about 10 years. In the dream I had that his mom told me He broke up with his girlfriend. She told me also not to tell him. What does this dream mean.. Thank you

View more questions Search