Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willintolearn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Shower to tub
    We have a custom built ceramic tile walls and floor shower in master bath. Drain pipes are cast iron with concrete floor. Built in mid 70's. We would like to take shower out and put in a tub and shower. Would have to be a 54" tub. The problem is what is under the shower and can the drain be moved to meet the tub. I am a do it yourself guy but don't want to get in over my head. Thanks for any help.
    nike 1 Posts: 167, Reputation: 16
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
    It can be done, but not really a job for the do-it yourselfer unless you have good experience. I would recommend hiring a reasonable contractor with references.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Hi willing to learn...

If you are willing to do the work and you have the time there are a bunch of experienced people here willing to talk you through every aspect of this job.

Swapping shower to a tub and shower is not bad if you can remove all tile, etc, square/plumb all up and they make a few different 54" tubs (I recommend cast iron) that will easily swap out for a shower... ;)

Let us know what you want to do... :)

MARK
    willintolearn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 03:22 AM

Thanks Mark. Will let you know when we decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct pvc shower drain for sterling #62040100 60" seated shower receptor [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone installed a sterling 60" seated shower receptor with wall surrounds on a concrete slab. The new unit did not come with a shower drain. there is a hole in the bottom That is 3-5/16" (8.4cm) and it calls for a drilled hole in slab oor foundation of 4-1/2" (11.4cm). the old drain line...

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs [ 3 Answers ]

In a fiberglass corner shower shell. What I have is an old leaking rusted Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search