Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ae0022 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Crack in soil stack
    The main soil stack in my 40+ year old two story home has developed small crack. I have seen evidence of a very small amount of leakage in my basement over the past few years, but it was never bad enough to goo cutting into the walls to find the source. Finally it has gotten bad enough that it had to be found. After cutting several access holes in the wall board, I discovered that a hairline crack, approx 1" long has developed in the 3" copper stack. I don't want to solder it, or cut in a coupling if I don't have to. What would be the best solution for this repair?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2006, 07:03 AM
    I would solder up the crack but if you don't wish to then a saddle camp's your answer. Check them out at; http://www.romacon.nl/Products.html
    Good luck, Tom

Aug 4, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, I thought you might suggest a saddle clamp. The other repair I was thinking of was a 2-part epoxt putty like 'supermend' or similar, but given your experience, I'll take your advise. Have you ever heard of such a crack just opening up in 3" copper dwv after 40+ years before?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ae0022
    Thanks for the quick response, I thought you might suggest a saddle clamp. The other repair I was thinking of was a 2-part epoxt putty like 'supermend' or simmilar, but given your experience, I'll take your advise. Have you ever heard of such a crack just opening up in 3" copper dwv after 40+ years before?
    Not a crack but I live ina 55 year old house and I've had to replace copper 1 1/2" drains because they were ate away. The epoxy should work just fine. There's no pressure on a drainage pipe but I would poke around the crack just to be sure you have solid edges if you decide to use epoxy. Good luck, Tom

Aug 4, 2006, 03:08 PM
    I searched around my area, and failed to come up with a pipe repair clamp that would fit 3" DWV copper. I'm about to prep the surface for the epoxy repair, and I'll poke the crack a bit to get the edges defined better. Thanks for your advise!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soil pipe problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have an existing 4" vent stack with an old lead elbow coming from the toilet connected to the vent pipe through what looks like a tee. Now I have to get rid of the lead elbow and replace it with abs the problem I have is what to use to connect the abs to the cast iron tee after I get rid of...

Help me before I crack [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know this is not a lot to work with but I heard this song on a classic rock station, you know 70's 80's and 90's anyway the song sort of sounds like a gangster movie its got gun shots, squealin tires, and police sirens but no real lyrics, I believe the dj said it was a song from the band...

Repairing hairline crack in 1920s utility (laundry) sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house that has an old concrete double basin utility sink. The right basin has a hairline crack and leaks water. I'd hate to sledge and remove it and was hoping this is fixable. Any suggestions?

Crack in pipe that enters the wall under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in the chrome pipe that goes from the wall into the PVC that my kitchen sink dumps into. Is there a way to fix this without ripping out the wall and replacing that pipe?

View more questions Search