Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnderPressure Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Newly installed grout has moisture
    I tiled my bathroom and grouted it around Christmas time. I have used the shower already and have no problems. I have noticed that the Grout has been breaking off in some sections of the floor and I have noticed some small water coming out from the grout as I step onto some of the tiles. (Did some plumbing work and there was a puddle of water from that) and the crout is crumbling in some areas. I stopped using that bathroom and have waited for the area to dry out. It wasn't a lot of water as there was no leakage issues on the floor below.

My guess is that I didn't pack the grout sufficiently in some areas and there is a problem there. I'm guessing that is also could be thinset or subfloor related. Subfloor seems fine, I chipped old tile away from it and it was in good shape (have done this many times before).

Does anybody have any advice. The area is dried out, I planned on cutting away bad grout areas and regrouting. Can I just cut away old grout and patch without touching the unaffected areas?

Thanks for any help.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jan 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
    It's possible that you're right and it's just a bad grout job in that area, but, it doesn't sound like it to me. The problem is in the shower floor right?

Grout will not crack unless there's movement. You confirmed movement when water squished up when you step on the floor. Those tiles are loose. I can't tell unless you tell us exactly how you install the job. Try tapping the tiles with the handle of a screwdriver and listen for hollow sounds.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is newly installed calais shower leaking at corners [ 2 Answers ]

Why is newly installed calais shower unit leaking at corners after sealant having being applied as per instalation instructions

Lights are dimmer after newly installed Harbor Breeze remote [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All. I just installed a Harbor Breeze remote to my already existing (came with the house) pull chain ceiling fan. The remote is the kind that replaces the light switch. All the functions are working properly except I noticed that the lights (2 60 Watt and 2 40 Watt) are now much dimmer,...

Newly tiled shower leaking through the grout what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

Took out my old fiberglass stall shower and had a tile shower built had it for a few months now and no problem. Had the dam built up to 16" so if I wanted to I could put a plug in the drain and fill it with water for soaking... Now that I've torn out my other bathtub from my other bathroom (they...

Low Hot Water Pressure Only on Newly Installed Faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a new bathroom faucet installed about a week ago. Today when I turned on the hot water side, I had full pressure, then pressure went low and has stayed that way. The cold side is fine. Did something break or could it be installed wrong? Thanks.

View more questions Search