Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
    M1PR - Am I a dependent?
    A dependent is a person who meets at least one of the following three requirements:

1. could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2008 federal income tax return
    2. lived with a parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt or uncle for more than half the year, and was under 19 at the end of the year (24 if a full-time student), and did not provide more than 50 percent of his or her own support
    3. had gross income of less than $3,500 in 2008, and had more than 50 percent of his or her support provided by:
    a person he or she lived with for the entire year (not in violation
    of local law), or
    a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, aunt, uncle, sibling, niece
    or nephew

Additionally, you cannot claim a refund if you are a nonresident alien living in Minnesota, your gross income was less than $3,200 and you received more than 50 percent of your support from a relative.

My situation is that I lived with my parents until September of this year. Then moved out on my own, paying my own expenses. I'm over 20 and am not a student.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Since you were living apart from them for AT LEAST three months, then it is likely you made more than $3,500.

If so, then your parents cannot legally claim you as a dependent even if you want to let them do so.

Claim yourself on your tax return. Make sure your parents know that you are doing so, just to be safe.
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Jan 26, 2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks for your response. However, I did not have a job in 2008 and still don't-- yet I have had more than that amount from savings from a previous job. The use of the word income is confusing.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
    If you had the money in savings, then the savings is NOT income.

The INTEREST from the savings is income; WAGES is income; DIVIDENDS is income; CAPITAL GAINS is income.

If the four income items listed above does NOT exceed $3,500, then LET YOUR PARENTS CLAIM YOU, as you do NOT NEED your personal exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent, but not in USA [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Friend, I am in the United States from 2006. I am getting married in December. To apply tax exemption does she need to be in the United States before 31st December? Can I get tax exemption even though she is in India? Please help me. Thanks, Sri

Mex in-law my dependent?= [ 1 Answers ]

For many years my wife(USA citizen) has been the primary source of income for my mexican mother-in-law that lives in mexico . She is not a "USA green card holder",etc. and has never been to the USA.She can not get a mexican passport because of a birth certificate foul-up. I tried to claim her as...

Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

I have a son that was born in jan. 2007. I was never married to the mother. We were together up until July 07. So we were together over half the year and I supported her and the child. We have been arguing about who is going to claim my son. I want to claim him or both of them. After we separated...

Tax H1B and dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Currently I am on H1B and working in US since 2005. I got married in Dec 2006 but my wife is coming to US in April on L1. Can I file taxes jointly for tax year 2006 and get tax benefits

View more questions Search