Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 25, 2009, 02:43 PM
    My sister's friend is being mean to her
    My sister just told me recently that her friends are ignoring her and it makes her feel very bad. She said that, they tell secrets behind her back and tell her to go away so they could talk. My sister is 8 years old. She said that at lunch time, they chose to sit by her but only talk among themselves, ignoring my little sister. My sister said when she tries to talk to them, they just say "wait" and keep on talking among themselves.

She cries the day she tells me. I hate to see my little sister so being hurt like that. Please help. Your welcome to leave advices on how to make my sister feel better.

(Am kind of mad at those people) :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 02:59 PM
    This is so common. Give your sister support and let her talk to you. Give her examples of how you got your feelings hurt at that same age. In about two or three days, these kids will all be talking again. I just know they will. Kids this age go through friend phases. I did, my sister did, my friends did, and so does my daughter now. There is no need to be mad, these kids are just becoming people, let them. I promise, they will all be talking to her again soon;)
    sylvan_1998 Posts: 156, Reputation: 45

Jan 26, 2009, 08:13 AM

She needs a successful environment. Try girlscouts and such where she can have some normal friendships and hopefully she will start to seek those friendships out. A sports team, or any other community of people her age.

Also, I would advise the teacher of these concerns so the teacher can help to mold the other children into being better friends. NOT TO INTERFERE because that would be social suicide. But the teacher can help to place your sister in situations where she will be with people who will be nice to her and whom she will be nice to also. And the teacher can help to monitor these other children who are decidedly rude.

I agree this may only be a phase. Startover's advice is good advice. But sometimes these cruel kids are just cruel until they grow up. Your sister needs to learn how to ignore and truly dislodge herself from these types of people and find supportive people to surround herself with.

Yes I was your sister. In a small school with the same 40 people for 8 years. Amazingly when I went to a new school all those stigmas and problems went away also. Because I had learned how to develop friendships other places and knew it had to be them and not me.

Good luck
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 7, 2009, 08:42 PM

Thank you! Yeah, I always try and open up to her. Hey, I'm her brother, if I don't then what kind of brother am I? =)
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:36 PM

It's sad when this happens. I've a 8 year old daughter and she goes through the same thing. I tell my daughter that no matter what mommy is your friend and I hug her and tell her I love her and would always be her friend. Also, I give her the talk of life about friends and just give her words of encourgembent and show her extra love.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Want to adopt sister's child [ 6 Answers ]

My sister was having her son with her and going through a difficult divorce when suddenly she died in a car accident. Now we want to adopt her child as her husband has not bothered to see his child or even offer child support for over 2 yrs now but he is unwilling to give us adoption rights. Can we...

My sister's cat is sick - any ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

I am aiding my sister in trying to figure out what is wrong with her cat. Of course the vet is treating her, but he is puzzled as well. 4 days ago the 6 year old cat developed lethargy and vomiting. She went to the vet on Thursday and blood tests were run - a geriatric panel which consists of a...

Sister's son [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, My sister's husband passed away and she is left with 3 kids. She is jobless and cannot take care of all the kids, can anyone here help me get someone to adopt one of my sister's son?

My sister's tortured mind [ 107 Answers ]

My sister is now in her thirties. She has suffered from depression, anxiety, and other issues since she was in high school. She is extremely intelligent, artistic and book smart but has difficulty dealing with day to day issues. She has never been diagnosed and doesn't stick with traditional...

My little sister's friend has a HOT big bro [ 4 Answers ]

So a normal day it is, then I knowtest that my little sis invited a friend. When her friend rang the bell I went to go get it . Next thing you know me and her hot big bro were saying hi and making eye contact:) . I was so stupid cause I opened the door said hi and didn't even invite him in. but...

View more questions Search