Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 25, 2009, 02:37 PM
    I need to improve my vocabulary!
    I just notice that my vocabulary is not so good. This year I'm in 7th grade and I want to improve my vocabulary so when I go to high school, I'll have a head start! But, other then flashcards, is there any other funner ways? I've been doing flashcards for quite a long time, to me, I was pretty persistent... Lately, I've been lacking off on looking up words because it's getting boring. Could someone tell me the best ways to learn words? =( =(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 02:40 PM

New word a day,
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Mar 1, 2009, 07:05 PM

It's good that you recognize that you need to improve and want to take action. Very good indeed!

Read different books, magazines and newspapers. You will improve both your general knowledge and your vocabulary. When you find a word you don't know, look it up in a dictionary or through the Internet.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 07:37 PM

Crossword puzzles! Do the one in your daily newspaper. It's easiest on Monday and gets really tough by the weekend. Puzzles are online too, of course, if you don't get a newspaper. Do them with someone too, for extra fun.
    stepmom609011 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2009, 07:44 PM

You might enjoy reading A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket or other similar books. This series helps expand vocabluary in a fun way. Definitely read as much as you can. It's far easier to pick up new vocab in context than off flash cards, though they do have some value.
    Luscious Leo Posts: 65, Reputation: 12

Mar 1, 2009, 07:51 PM

I think you should have two new words you learn per day from the dictionary. You should write them down twenty times each to get the spelling right and then use both of the words in a several complete sentences. At the end of the week you should have your mom/dad/relative give you a spelling and definition test over each of the words. If you do this Monday-friday, you will learn at least 40 words a month.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2009, 09:58 PM
    Hi, survivorboi!

You've already received some very helpful answers here. What I'm curious about is, are there particular areas where you might want to improve your vocabulary more so than in other areas?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vocabulary workshop unit 1 level E [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I'm krissy I was just wondering if someone could help in Sadlier-Oxford vocabulary workshop level E I'm lost I finish most of the problems but I can figure out some is there a site I can go to get the answers to check the ones I have finished and fix the ones I have left unfinished... could...

Learining English and vocabulary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm learning English by myself. But I think it's really hard to remember lots of vocabularies. Do you know any good site of learning English? Please tell me some! Thank you.

Broadening my vocabulary [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to learn meanings of new words and was wondering what these words such as this meant... Objective Description Subjective Description Dominant Impression Figure of Speech Metaphor First Person Point Of View Third person point of view Compare

Child vocabulary [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old in my class and he does not talk well at all. He sounds like he is crying while speaking all the time. Even with a smile. What should I do?

Improve my english [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is vinay wants to know about english communication so tell me how to improve my english communication fluently

View more questions Search