Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    01ambition Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Debt situation
    I had a debt in the state of California and six years went by and I had moved to Georgia andI had been served with papers in the state of Georgia from a law firm.Then scheduled with a court date , that's coming up even though this was in a different state they still served me.I know I don't owe them anything.I feel like if I go to court the Judge might Garnish my wages.The credit card company screwd me,I can't believe it.. I don't know what to do, if anybody has answers please let me know. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2009, 01:47 PM

What you do is answer the summons with an Intent to Defend letter requesting a hearing. The letter can state that you don't believe you owe anything.

You then send a copy of that letter to the plaintiff with a request for verification of the debt.

At the hearing, unless the plaintiff has provided proof of the debt, you can ask for a dismissal.

If you don't show up they will get a default judgement and then WILL garnish your salary. So not responding would be a big mistake.

There are dozens of threads in this and other forums that give furthjer advice on this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Urgent debt situation [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: we have a problem with debt Do you know where to go and how to get it cleared quickly and fast as possible? The amount totaled is like $100000 including medical bills for my son Do you know what could be done?and how fast?

View more questions Search