Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wayside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Reversed wiring?
    I have replaced a ceiling light fixture. I matched black to 3 black in the ceiling box that were twisted together and capped. I matched white to 3 white in the ceiling box that were twisted together and capped. There is a separate ground. Now, the wall switch works opposite of what it should. When it is in the down position the light comes on and the circuit trips. Should I reverse the connections putting the new fixture white to the black in the circuit box? Thanks for your help.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 12:28 PM

No, you should correct the wiring in the ceiling.

If you or can get a volt/ohm meter it will be very helpful to you.

In the ceiling, there will be on cable (Black/White/Bare) that supplies a continuous Hot line. Now turn off the breaker supplying this line in.

Next, determine which of the other two blacks are part of the switch circuit.

Connect one black conductor to the constant Hot (black) in the ceiling. The other black (switched) goes to the black on the light fixture.

The white from the fixture connects to the white from the "Source" cable.

The bare copper wire connects to the bare or green wire from the fixture.

Turn the breaker back on and test the switch. If it works correctly, then button every thing up, you are finished.

If the switch still is out of orientation, go back to the ceiling connection and after turning the power off, swap the black switch conductors. Take the black from the fixture and place it on the "Hot" line. Place the black from the "Hot" line to the fixture.

Turn the power back on and the switch should now work correctly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reversed polarity [ 6 Answers ]

Is reversed polarity when the hot and neutral are wired backwards

Reversed polarity [ 3 Answers ]

What does reversed polarity mean a. the hot and neutral are wired forwards b. the ground and neutral are wired backwards c. the hot and neutral are wired backwards

Numbers reversed [ 1 Answers ]

Why are the numbers in phones and calculators reversed

Reversed Polarity [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding reverse polarity, I have 5 outlets in a room all showing reversed. The top of the outlets are wired to the light switch(red wire) the bottoms are hot all the time(black wire). When I remove the red wire from the switch the polarity is fixed.. if I hook that wire back up they then reverse...

Hot/Ground Reversed [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Can you have lights and outlets coming from two circuits (i.e. two breakers from the main box)? Also how do you reverse the ground and hot wire? I am wanting to move a light switch... I went to the breaker box and turned off the power to that circuit. I proceeded to disconnect...

View more questions Search