Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Minnesota_gold Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Compact fluorescent lamps in ceiling fans
    Is it possible to use compact fluorescent lamps in a Continental Hunter fan (model 23843) and also two Hunter Allendale fans (model 28023)?

Also would like to use them in my Hampton Bay Huntington 2 fan (3 lights)?

Thank you...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 09:26 PM
    Most definitely. I use them all the time.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 09:26 PM
    I should add, as long as you don't have remotes or dimmers on the fans/lights. I don't think any of those models include a remote.. .

Aug 4, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Hunter tech support says that they are "not within UL guidelines to use fluorescent bulbs on those fans" - is that a way to protect themselves or is there a real problem with this use?

Thanks.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Are they remote fans?

Hunter Tech Support, often times, does not know what they are talking about.

Aug 4, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Thanks for the reply - not remote controlled... single light switch with 2 chains one for fan and other for lights.

Wonder why they would raise the UL flag... guess they just want to CYA and their part. (I can understand that).
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Use the bulbs. Nothing wrong with it. Maybe they thought you were talking about a different type of fluorescents.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Tech support is not so much covering their butt, but more reading from a prepared script or list of facts, which states the fixture was tested by UL using only incandescent lamps, and the listing does not mention CF lamps.

They are not qualified to interpret the ruling, only state it as fact.

However, CF lamps are UL listed to be used as direct replacement of incandescent lamps, so the final assembly is UL listed.

As ceiligfanrepair mentions, do not use CF lamps on dimmers unless the CF lamp is rated as being Dimmable. This will cause the lamp to overheat and fail.
    Richard Lutes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 12:09 PM
    I bought a ceiling lamp and screwed up. It is a hAMPTON bAY TRANSITIONAL COLLECTION # 363233 AND I NEED a part from the ballast. I twisted the wires off and need a part
    Richard Lutes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 12:14 PM
    How do I get the parts dept. for Hampton Bay
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Check the sticky at the top of our forums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans [ 4 Answers ]

Just bought a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan and it was installed by the contractor doing other work in our house. When the four (4) lights are on in the fan, after some time (one hr or so) the lights go off by themselves... also, if the fan is off, after a while it goes on by itself. The light is...

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing two Hampton Bay ceiling fans on a cathedral ceiling in a two story great room. For efficiency purposes, do the fans need to be mounted on poles, or can they be installed tight to the ceiling?

Ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older fan that only has 3 wires a black, white, and blue. And coming out of my ceiling there's only a black, and white. Sooo wheres my ground wire from the ceiling? (the electrical box?) and is the blue wire from the fan my ground? Cause I could ground it to the electrical box. Please...

Hampton Bay ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan purchased from Home Depot. The fan has a globe lamp just above the four light bulb outlets below the fan blades. My question is what is the best way to change the small light bulbs that have burned out inside the globe lamp? Do I have to take the whole fan down or...

Compact Fluorescent Spring Lamps [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I've noticed that certain brands of compact fluorescent light bulbs (sometimes called "spring lamps" because of the way the bulb is shaped) will light up immediately upon flipping the switch (like a regular incandescent bulb), while others, such as GE, will have a noticeable "lag time"...

View more questions Search