Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m124 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 09:20 AM
    I was non-resident alien in 2007, but resident alien in 2008. Stimulus payment?
    I was non-resident alien and filed 1040NR in 2007, but I was resident alien in 2008 and am filing 1040-EZ with Turbo tax.

I am also seeing that, on the instructions for form 1040, it says:

"This credit is figured in the same manner as
    the economic stimulus payment you may
    have received in 2008 except that your
    2008 tax information is used to figure this
    credit. Your 2007 tax information was used
    to figure your economic stimulus payment."

Turbo tax did not ask whether I was resident or non-resident alien in 2007; it just asked if I received a stimulus payment in 2008 and I said "No" and then it just put the $600 credit on my tax return. Was that an oversight or that really does not matter anymore and I am really eligible for the stimulus payment? Thank you in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 12:42 PM

Since you are filing resident tax return, you will get recovery rebate (stimulus rebate).
    m124 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Since you are filing resident tax return, you will get recovery rebate (stimulus rebate).
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Agreed, provided you are, in fact, eligible to file as a resident alien for 2008.

If you are confident that your resident alien status is valid, then you can get the Recovery Rebate on your 2008 return.
    taxgeek Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 10:15 AM
    OK, a further enhancement to the question at hand. I am confident that I am resident alien for 2008.

Now, I got married in 2008 and hence am filing married filing jointly with my wife who has no ITIN. But that aspect will be taken care of via W7 (have read other relevant posts related to H4 wife not having ITIN or SSN).

My wife was not in the US in 2008, but she becomes a resident alien on account of my filing jointly.

Am I eligible for the full $1200 rebate? (I did not get any rebate in calendar yr 2008 since I was non resident in 2007)
    taxgeek Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxgeek View Post
    ok, a further enhancement to the question at hand. I am confident that I am resident alien for 2008.

Now, I got married in 2008 and hence am filing married filing jointly with my wife who has no ITIN. But that aspect will be taken care of via W7 (have read other relevant posts related to H4 wife not having ITIN or SSN).

My wife was not in the US in 2008, but she becomes a resident alien on account of my filing jointly.

Am I eligible for the full $1200 rebate? (I did not get any rebate in calendar yr 2008 since I was non resident in 2007)
    based on another thread, it looks like I cannot directly claim the rebate without first filing married filing separately and then amending that using 1040X! Too tedious, I say!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 12:44 PM
    If you file jointly with your wife on her ITIN, you are NOT ELIGIBLE for the Recovery Rebate.

However, you CAN file Married Filing Separately, list your wife's name and the acronym NRA (for non-resident alien) where her SSN goes, and THEN you would be eligible for the recovery rebate (probably for $600) to be added to your refund.

Once you got the refund, you would then file Form 1040X to amend your return to Married Filing Jointly and submit it, along with Form W-7, to the IRS ITIN Processing Center in Austin, Texas, to get the bigger refund that goes with filing jointly.

The IRS has stated on their website that this process is perfectly legal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax returns Resident Alien or Non Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for the first time on July 5, 2007 and working here in NJ. I am currently on H1B (Sept 2006 - Sept 2009). I am married and my wife came here in Sepetember 2007 on H4. My question is whether I need to file income tax returns as Resident alien or Non-resident alien for 2007? In...

Status changed from resident alien to non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I was under F1 from Aug 2002-May2007, OPT from June 2007 to Sep 2007 and now on H1-B from Oct 2007. I am married and my wife's status changed from F2 to H4. My questions are, 1. Am I considered as a dual-status(resident alien from Jan to Sep and non-resident alien from Oct to Dec)? 2. Which...

Regarding the Taxes 2007 as an resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing my taxes for 2007. I have tin# for my wife and daughter. I can claim them as dependents that is not the problem. I am here for the past 6 years. I am on H1 but I do have the EAD. Now when I am filing the taxes Am I considered as Resident Alien or Non-resident Alien. If I am Resident...

Am I a resident or non-resident alien for 2007 tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a Software Engineer in California from April 2000 to May 2007 on H1B visa. I returned to India for good in May 2007 and living in India now. I was with my family (Wife and 2 kids) in California. I don't have a green card. I appreciate if you could let me know whether I will be...

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

View more questions Search