Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oscar Romero Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 01:50 AM
    Sea Horses in water
    What percent of the time do sea horses live in water? How long do they live?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 01:57 AM

Seahorses require an aquarium with a low water flow and many places for them to wrap their tails around. Ideally, live rock should be provided for a natural food source with many different types of gorgonians and sponges to hang on to. To make feeding easier, the seahorses should be housed in an aquarium of 50 gallons or less, and should be housed with other seahorses. If other species of fish are to be housed in the same aquarium, they should be slow moving and non-aggressive. Mandarin gobies and pipefish are examples of acceptable tank mates. Seahorses do not require special lighting systems, but they do benefit from proper filtration. Wet/dry filters and canister filters are ideal for seahorse aquariums. Please note: seahorses, mandarin gobies, and pipefish require meticulous care and are recommended for expert aquarium hobbyists.

Various pipettesFeeding the seahorses can be difficult at the beginning, and live foods should be available. Offer live freshwater ghost shrimp and live brine shrimp enriched with a vitamin such as Selcon. Immediately after feeding live food, it is best to offer frozen mysid shrimp that have been thawed. To do this, draw a mysid shrimp into a pipette so part of the shrimp is hanging out, and dangle the shrimp in front of the seahorse. It may take a few feedings to get the seahorses accustomed to the new food, but in time, they will readily take the frozen mysid shrimp and will hunt them down as they are moved about the aquarium by the current.Natural lifespans for seahorses are virtually unknown. Most estimates come from laboratory or aquarium observations. Known lifespans for seahorse species range from about one year in the smaller species to an average of three to five years for the larger species.

Got all this on line so I am not the author.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horses... [ 10 Answers ]

Hey people I know nobody is going to read this, but I love horses soooooooo much. They are so beautiful when they walk. I want to buy a horse but can't find any I should buy. Any suggestions? :confused:

Horses [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about horses. Our eighteen yr. old horse seems to be going blind and I was wondering if anyone ever ran into the same problem and what did they do.

Horses [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering whether people knew anything about whether horses laid down on the ground much. I saw one of my horses down on the ground twice today and I have never seen them really do that before in my whole life. Granted I don't watch them all the time but it is freezing outside and I hope it...

View more questions Search